Bio HL or eco HL?

Guest Z.A

Em...Hi :)

I’m new to this forum and I’m a 10th grader. I’m doing 2 language A now. (English is not my native language.) I want to enter either business or medical field(sounds like a weird combination), and I really don’t know which one should I choose, bio HL or eco HL. (I chose chem HL as my science and B&M HL as my humanities.) I really don’t want to exhaust myself...since I will choose 2 language A(but both are SL) so I want it to be easier. Bio or eco? Thanks in advance! :)

PS: Surely I’ll go to HK so B&M is not a problem, right?

Definitely choose Bio as you're thinking about medicine. I have chosen Economics HL and i would say that the amount of time you would spend on bio to get a 5 is equivalent to the amount of time spent on Eco to get a 7...If you're concerned about grades, then get Eco but if you're concerned about subject, then get Bio :P

well if your like me and like science you should choose biology sometimes filling out the lab reports can get hard but if your thinking about going into medicine or any other science related field you will quickly notice the benefits of knowing how to execute a perfect lab and writing its reports

you will be one step ahead of the other student.

also most universities give a large amount of credits according to your exam grade. (no diploma needed!!! :clap:certificates mostly count.)

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem.

The thing is that for medicine you need Chemistry HL NOT Bio HL, and if you havent decided yet for sure whether you want to stufy business or medicine, I would recommend you take Economics HL.

Also Economics HL is not as difficult as Bio HL and from my point of view more interesting.

Edited by Kate Rodionova

Generally, Economics or B and M is not specified as a requirement to study Business sometimes maths or a "strong mathematical background" is specified. Seeing as neither Economics or B and M will fulfill any requirements, and you're stuck between two possible degrees, I'd advise you to chose Biology which is sometimes specified as a requirement for medicine (alongside chemistry). Depending on where you want to go, medicine usually requires two sciences, so my advice is to make sure you satisfy the subject requirement for your anticipated degree and choose Biology HL.

Im told Chemistry and Biology complement rather well . Having two sciences may make you seem like a strong candidate if you end up applying for business as scientists are generally perceived to have a rational, organised way of thinking and a balanced thoughtful approach to tasks which are coveted and useful skills even in the business world. More and more science students are recruited into business due to the transferable skills involved.

Better over-qualified than under-qualified :)

Edited by ChocolateDrop

If you're prepared for full memorization and are able to cope with a lot of content and detail, i would choose Biology HL. Also as previous posters have said, if you're looking into medicine, then Bio HL is the way to go.

Also, as Sandwich said, if you want, you could switch B&M for Economics. I did B&M HL and it's quite the same Biology HL. A lot of memorization and content to study. Economics is much more easier as compared to Business (or so all my friends who took Econ said).