Extra-curricular activities for UK universities

fcb1013

Any help would be appreciated! I have some questions regarding extra-curricular activities in applying to top UK universities:

1) Is is true that UK universities will only care about extra-curricular activities related to the subject in which you are applying to? Does this include work experience?

2) If I am applying for an arts subject, would admissions care about leadership roles such as student council president, head boy etc?

3) Does it matter if I happen to be excellent at a sport? Would it improve my chances of receiving an offer if I am part of a sports team? Or a sport which I am excellent at in which I intend to pursue at the university (not talking about a scholarship)? I do plenty of sports right now and I am considering cutting back the time I spend on them for academics, wise?

Edited by fcbarcelona1013

1) Is is true that UK universities will only care about extra-curricular activities related to the subject in which you are applying to? Does this include work experience?
Yes.
2) If I am applying for a subject such as architecture or engineering, would admissions care about leadership roles such as student council president, head boy etc?
Not as much as you would think. I mean it would help, but it certainly won't be a deciding factor. However, if you were captain of your football team that won a national title, that would make a difference. But you have to always bring back how playing in a team sport or being Head Boy gave you certain skills that will help you as an engineer/architect.
3) Does it matter if I happen to be excellent at a sport? Would it improve my chances of receiving an offer if I am part of a sports team? Or a sport which I am excellent at in which I intend to pursue at the university (not talking about a scholarship)? I do plenty of sports right now and I am considering cutting back the time I spend on them for academics, wise?

Again, it depends. If you're winning national and international titles, yes, it will help. If you're just interested and 'reasonably good,' no, it won't help as much as you would hope for.

Yes.
2) If I am applying for a subject such as architecture or engineering, would admissions care about leadership roles such as student council president, head boy etc?
Not as much as you would think. I mean it would help, but it certainly won't be a deciding factor. However, if you were captain of your football team that won a national title, that would make a difference. But you have to always bring back how playing in a team sport or being Head Boy gave you certain skills that will help you as an engineer/architect.

Again, it depends. If you're winning national and international titles, yes, it will help. If you're just interested and 'reasonably good,' no, it won't help as much as you would hope for.

Thank you, if I'm not at national level with the sport, would if still be worthy to include in my personal statement?

Thank you, if I'm not at national level with the sport, would if still be worthy to include in my personal statement?

Yes because it shows loads of things PROVIDED you mention them in your personal statement. Doing sport shows you can work with others, you can show commitment, you can balance multiple things alongside your studies, you have several 'strings' to your bow i.e. are a relatively interesting person and you have pursuits outside of academia which will help you stay well-balanced and not become overwhelmed by University work. You should only mention things in your personal statement if you can also show how they make you a more desirable candidate than the next guy, but more or less any extra-curricular activity can make you more desirable if you just spin it properly. As Arrowhead said, skills and positive personality traits that will make you a better student = what they want.

• Like 1