Subject Choices

Guest ddtru

Hi guys! :)

So I'm currently in my school's pre-IB programme and I have already signed up for the IB. But I really need help with my subject choices. Here is what I'm about to choose.

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

Latvian HL

English SL

Math SL

Geography SL

Russian SL

Do you think this subject combination might be too hard? Maybe I should take Economics SL instead of Geography?

I know I only need 6 subjects but is it really much harder if I take 7? Do you have any experience with studying two sciences HL? I want to become a doctor, so I need Chem and Bio HL but a lot of people have been telling me that it's really difficult.

Thanks in advance for any useful comments. (:

Edited by ddtru

Well, it mostly depends on you as a person, how effective and disciplined you are at working :) Economics isn't (in my opinion) a very hard subject, especially SL :P As you mentioned, you are only required to take on six subjects and later on, an additional subject probably won't help on the workload :P Not entirely sure about HL biology and chemistry, but I hear that they can be tiring at times :)

Edited by AkHyldmo

Two Science HLs is not problematic at all, as long as you enjoy your subjects and stay disciplined and on top of your work, but that would be true no matter whichever combination of subjects you take.

I know people doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths HL and they're doing fine, so will you, I'm sure. Besides, since you want to be a doctor, it's not like you have a choice in the matter.

Geography versus Economics, I don't think it makes any difference. Most people at my old IB school never did well in Geography, but we had a lot of people get 6s and 7s in Economics, so I would think about that, although I think it comes down to how good your future teacher is and his/her experience with teaching the IB.

7 subjects won't be too hard and you can always drop an extra SL class if it gets overwhelming for you.

Best of luck!

Arrowhead.

Guest Morrie.K

7 IB courses are like hell... just drop one course and instead, take math HL. If you want to be doctor, math hl is really essential. Geo sl is much easier than econ sl so just stay on geo. Bio HL? you've got to remember tons. Chem HL? no comment. but the other subjects would be fairly easy.

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

Math HL

English SL

Geography SL

Russian or Latvian SL

This schedule would be better for you if you want to be a doctor, but this would be really rigorous, so better study hard.

Edited by Sandwich
Please type words out in full, do not use chatspeak, as per IBS rules.

English A HL

Biology HL

Psychology HL

Chemistry SL

Maths SL

French SL

not sure how intense these subjects are going to be and whether i will still have a life oustide study, so any thoughts!?!