fcb1013

Hi, I'm having to pick my IB subjects soon and I've also been thinking about possibilities for my future. I'm interested in becoming an engineer, or perhaps an industrial designer/product designer.

1) What subjects would I choose for the IB? (Given that I am probably applying to the UK)

Currently this is my combination:

HL Physics

HL Maths

HL Visual Art

SL English LL

SL French

SL History/Economics

Would this combination be too rigorous? If I were to drop VA to SL, which subject should I take at HL?

I have not studied Design Technology in Years 10 and 11, thus I am not considering DT in IB.

2) Which top universities (UK or US) have industrial design or product design courses?

3) Is it possible for be to major in engineering at university and study industrial design as a postgrad? I understand that the two fields do have certain similarities (especially with mechanical engineering).

4) What are the IB subject requirements for Engineering or Design courses at top UK or US universities? Which ones require double science either at SL or HL?

5) I've heard that Economics is quite easy to pick up at university in less time and I would be covering more as well. Is this a possibility in the UK? Should I take history now since I would probably never study it again, although it seems to be more demanding that Economics at IB.

Thanks a lot!

1. HL math is a must for engineering in UK. Other subjects such as Design technology, physics at HL level might help but i don't think they're a must for design engineering.

2. UK is very simple. Go to ucas.ac.uk and under courses you can search for product/industrial design and it'll list out all the universities that offer those courses. You can use this website to search for that university and read everything from night life up to the overall university ranking etc.

3. Probably but i'm not 100% sure. I think it should be possible.

4. Not sure if this relates to the 1st question or not.

5. One thing you should make sure is that if you are thinking of having economics in University, then you SHOULD take it in IB because: You would have a better understanding of the basic concepts AND sometimes universities directly take you in the second year if they realise that you've covered all the basics and that they'll be teaching pretty much the same thing that you've been taught in IB economics so there's no reason for you to repeat that year. This is rarely the case in Good universities such as Cambridge, London school of economics etc.

• 8 years later...
On 1/14/2013 at 12:16 AM, Nabz said:

1. HL math is a must for engineering in UK. Other subjects such as Design technology, physics at HL level might help but i don't think they're a must for design engineering.

2. UK is very simple. Go to ucas.ac.uk and under courses you can search for product/industrial design and it'll list out all the universities that offer those courses. You can use this website to search for that university and read everything from night life up to the overall university ranking etc.

3. Probably but i'm not 100% sure. I think it should be possible.

4. Not sure if this relates to the 1st question or not.

5. One thing you should make sure is that if you are thinking of having economics in University, then you SHOULD take it in IB because: You would have a better understanding of the basic concepts AND sometimes universities directly take you in the second year if they realise that you've covered all the basics and that they'll be teaching pretty much the same thing that you've been taught in IB economics so there's no reason for you to repeat that year. This is rarely the case in Good universities such as Cambridge, London school of economics etc.

bruh how do u know all of this? is there a list for prerequisite subject combinations?

2) im taking the same subjects as the guy above but business instead of econ, will I be able to apply in other countries too?