Studying Abroad in UK-Medicine

WorkingHard

Hey fellow Survivors,

I wish to study medicine in Europe, however, i am unaccustomed to what they require. I searched many top Universities in the UK, and they all seemed to need a HL in Chemistry (compulsory) and HL in either Bio, Phy or Maths.

Here are the Subjects that i have applied for the coming exam (November, I'm Aussie):

HL Geography

HL Music

HL Chemistry

SL Maths

SL English

SL Chinese

With these subjects, what UK University can i get into? Also, are the prerequisites final or are they just a guide?

Thank you for your help all!

Evan

According to the Cambridge and Oxford websites, you have to have HL Chemistry+HL Biology/Physics/Maths. That is not a suggestion but a condition for acceptance. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are the same.

For Imperial College, you need Chemistry and Biology with one of those at HL. So you cannot apply there.

UCL Medicine requires Chemistry and Biology at HL.

Even places like Warwick require both HL Chemistry and HL Maths/Physics.

You'd be hard pressed to find any good university that would accept you for Medicine with only HL Chemistry and no other science whatsoever with SL Maths. To put it simply, you did not choose the right subjects for Medicine.

I heard there is something called a 'premedical' year which is a different course, but it just adds one extra year onto your university course?

I think you mean a foundation year. Different universities function such years differently. Most top universities don't really do foundation years (as far as I know) and there's no guarantee that you will get into the university's medical programme after completing a foundation with them. I would email the relevant universities and ask them to be sure because different universities offer this kind of foundation with their own set of rules and requirements.

I don't know what year your exams are as it's not been put on your profile (Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Nov 2015?), but if you can possibly switch one of your HLs (would have to be Music, really) to Biology instead, that would solve all of your problems.

As others have said, the foundation years are an option but you'd be wasting a whole year re-learning basic science (plus Biology) at a pretty high cost. I only know one person who did a foundation year at Sheffield with the intention of doing Medicine (because they failed their relevant science A Levels) and they DID manage to get on a medical course afterwards, but as said before it's not guaranteed.