Does doing the DoE (International Award) help with university application?

iamyourmum

It won't make a terrible amount of difference to your application. A lot of people do it nowadays. I'd recommend you do it because the experience is quite fun (if you're friends with your group) but not because it's something for you to add onto your application. Otherwise you'll find it extremely tedious.

That goes for a lot of things. If you do these things just for your application you won't enjoy them as much as you can.

• Like 1

Yeah well, as AWB said, only do it if you're into that kind of stuff. You should always do things that interest you in your extracurricular activities. I'm reading Law at university at the moment and I certainly never did the DoE (and I had the option) and I did do the MUN and Debates (but again, because I enjoyed it).

Frankly, what matters most is your grades.

D of E was awesome, you should do it. Plus you have to do CAS anyway so pretty much all of it gets covered that way, you just have to do it for a longer period of time for D of E. That and the expeditions which were my favourite part by a mile.

Expeditions and the other D of E bits can be a great way to show some things you can pull out onto your personal statement - determination, dealing with challenging circumstances, resourcefulness, practical skills, teamwork, leadership, motivation, blah blah blah... so it'll always add something if you can get one of the awards. You can do fast track Gold in 6th form :yes: