Switching from IB Theatre to Film?

LumosEcho

Happy Holidays fellow IB students!

I started IB Year 1 in September, and in the past 4 months we've done nothing in Theatre class. I don't know if it's because we're a mixed class (both regular and IB students, grades 11 and 12), but we've somehow managed to cover even less than what I've done before in theatre classes during grades 9 and 10 (with the same teacher too!).

I was totally psyched for Theatre HL because I absolutely love acting and the subject in general, but now I feel like every class is a waste of time. For example, we spent more time chilling in class than doing anything in the past month. I hear that the other Theatre HL teacher at my school has gotten his class to take a lot of notes, while my class has done none of that, or discussed anything about the syllabus. In short, we've done nothing related to the IB programme in Theatre so far.

So now I'm considering switching to Film HL. I'm not entirely inexperienced with making films; last year I made 2 short film projects and found both experiences to be a lot of fun! However, I'm just worried that I would be unable to catch up if I transferred, since we are already done 4 months of the IB programme as I said.

Should I transfer out of Theatre (in which we've done nothing) to Film (something else I'm passionate about, and a class where I'd actually be doing something)?

Maybe things will change after winter break, but I'm pretty skeptical right now :(

Edited by LumosEcho

From what you've said, I'd personally think that you should switch to Film from what you've said. I'm not sure if this class really would give you the true knowledge and experience that an IB course should, and as a learner, I feel there would be more potential growth for you in the other class. Catching up would be somewhat of a problem, but i think it would be doable given time and work for a film course if you talk to the teacher and try at it. Good luck!

From what you've said, I'd personally think that you should switch to Film from what you've said. I'm not sure if this class really would give you the true knowledge and experience that an IB course should, and as a learner, I feel there would be more potential growth for you in the other class. Catching up would be somewhat of a problem, but i think it would be doable given time and work for a film course if you talk to the teacher and try at it. Good luck!

Thanks for your quick reply. I agree, right now with the little material we've covered in class, I don't think it would give me the best experience of an IB course. I think I recall my teacher saying that Year 1 for Theatre is pretty lenient, and then Year 2 is when everything gets intense. But right now, I'm just really unsatisfied with the lack of work we do in my class, and how I haven't learned anything new in comparison to the other IB Theatre class at our school. I will most likely switch to Film if the teacher thinks that it's not too late (apparently they've just started their biggest project of the year, so hopefully I can still transfer in...).

For anyone else taking Theatre, do/did you take notes on a regular basis?

Any further opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by LumosEcho
  • Like 1