Question about exchange rates

I'm choosing this for my econ ia in international economics

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/05/opinion/hong-kong-postcard/index.html?iref=allsearch

(please only read up to the first 6 paragraph)

It talks about how china keeps it's currency artificially low (mainly by buying a lot of US dollar to make the value of US dollar > china's yuan) and all that, ,my question is that since the demand of US dollar is increasing due to China's act and it's appreciating, how come in paragraph 6 it mentioned US dollar weaken? The only reason i can think of is that demand of China's export in US increases due to it's low value and thus people sell US dollar to buy Yuan, thus making US dollar depreciates. However this contradicts with my previous saying about China making US dollar at a higher price than Yuan... I'm really confused and i don't know how should i explain it. Please give me some help, thank you very much!!

This is my understanding of it (note I don't take economics or anything similar, this is just from generally related discussions with people.)

So, in regards to paragraph 6, it is a hypothetical. Essentially, it is saying that IF the US dollar fall the Hong Kong Dollar falls also. This is because they are pegged. I.e. their currencies always stay in roughly the same ratio, relative to other currencies.

The US dollar is weak however, at least in comparison the the Aussie Dollar. This is partly because of high unemployment and low debt, compared to us and also our ability to 'cash in' on the 'mining boom' to a bigger extent, at least per capita. However, The Use dollar is steady in comparison, not particularly rising or falling. Not sure about it compared to other currencies though, sorry.