What can I do?

IBgremlin

Help!

I am going into the IBDP in August and I would like to take the following subjects

English Lit HL

German L&L SL

French B HL

Physics HL

Maths SL

History HL

The problem is my school are messing me about. I am the only student who wants to do French so they have said I cannot do it and must find something else.

They do not want me to take German L&L as I am not native German and therefore will not manage the course (my teacher feels I will be able to cope, but he is new to the school so has very little sway with the German dept).

In English we have a brilliant teacher, but there is a high likelihood he will be replaced with a new one, nice woman but does not encourage discussion, fine for lower grades but not great for IB.

I want to study languages and linguistics at Uni and they are messing around with my 3 most important subjects. I have spoken to my IB coordinator and she has said the school cannot stop me from taking German L&L but the thought of 2 years of teachers going out of their way to fail me does not appeal.

Has anyone any suggestions what I can do?

Sorry this was so long.

Hello welshpixie,

Looks like you're into linguistics! ;)

Before I say anything, I believe that if that's what you want to study and that's what you are passionate about, then it gives you every reason to fight for it.

As for your French issue, the only situation that I can you taking it is if you made an arrangement with your school, that you can get a period to do French. However, you would have to find a tutor, which depending on where you live, could or could not be hard to find. I've heard of some situations like this where it was made possible. It isn't too hard on the school, and it allows for you to pursue what you want to - adress the issue to them.

As for German, if the German teacher believes you can manage, you can probably manage. You want to study languages, so why not? It seems as if the school might be degrading you down a bit. I don't know what type of student you are, but pursue what you want to. Don't think that the teachers are going out of their way for you, remember they are teachers and their job is to teach, don't see that as a negative - most teachers actually want to help from experience. If you feel he does not have much of a say (your German teacher), why don't you express to the school how important linguistics is for you and how it is your passion?

For English, I would take it anyway because I believe studying literature gives you the chance to study both modern genres as well as classics which give so much meaning to life. A better and more passionate teacher helps but from experience, most of the work and passion comes from you are independently doing what you want to.

I hope everything works out.

Cheers,

DK

Thanks DK,

Makes me feel much better that someone understands. I have my mocks when we go back after xmas and after that I will try to speak to the school.

As for the English teacher she is a nice lady but has never taught IB before, whereas the old one has taught for many years and is cool, we get on well, also he is not happy he is likely to be replaced.

Thanks

WP

• 7 months later...

Another linguistics fan :) I want to study linguistics as well and I, too, had problems with having two languages A. I am taking Croatian (my native language) and English, both at HL. Although my teacher said multiple times that I can do English A, my coordinator is still reluctant. Luckily for me, I have a great headmaster who allowed me to take both of languages.

Btw, why are you taking physics HL? You don't really need it and it's your 4th HL subject

I take English A L&L without being a native speaker, and I'm not having any problems. Of course, I don't know how well you speak German, but if you're passionate about language you should be able to manage.

My school also had some issues with the 3rd languages, in my country either German, Spanish or French, seeing as only a couple in my IB class chose these languages.

They solved it, however, by putting us in language classes with the other students who have "normal" programs at my school.

I don't know what advice I could give you, but I feel like your school is not handling the fact that it's a small IB school very well (just guessing it's a small IB school). :S

Edited by Charliepants