Advice on Tests

oohwill

Greetings!

I've posted a topic a while ago regarding french tutoring but now I have another problem...

I need advice regarding tests as my mark has dropped because of the few recent tests I have done. What happens is that I study by doing review questions if its something like math or reviewing my notes for things like science, and so forth. However, when I actually do the test, I seem to just blank out and forget EVERYTHING! It gets me mad how I studied hard for it, and that I was actually capable of getting 100s but I couldn't remember anything...

I need advice on what to do, is it the way I'm studying? I really need help because its getting seriously depressing... :(

Here is addition information if you need it:

1. My classes this semester are Science, Math, Geography, and English. It's not the easiest combination but it is too late to change it anyways.

2. I go to St. Francis Xavier Secondary School (Grade 9)

3. No tutoring currently for any of those subjects. Do you guys think I should find a tutor?

4. I did not attend the MYP Program.

If you have any questions / suggestions, feel free to post!

Thank you.

If you say you study and can remember everything while you study, but then blank out when you get to the test, you need a different way to study so that you can remember everything. Doing review exercises is a good way to start, but you should also do a few other things to reinforce the concepts in your brain and be sure to remember them. For me, I will not remember anything unless I write it down. After I do practice exercises I make a chart and re-write all my notes. Some other ideas could be talking yourself through the exercise or even trying to teach someone (it doesn't even have to be a real person, you could try and teach your pillow) how to do the problem. Teaching is often the best way to reinforce something and make sure you understand the problem, so if you can do that, it may help. Find what works for you and stick with it. Try this site for a few ideas: http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/howtostudy.html

The night before a test it's important to get some sleep. I've found that staying up all night and cramming does not help me at all. You might be different, but overall I've noticed that if someone gets a good amount of sleep and doesn't spend the morning panicking about their exam, they will do better than the person who stayed up all night and panics until they take the test. When you get to the test, take a few deep breaths. You know the material, just let it come to you. Start with the easier problems first and do the hardest ones last.

Good luck on your upcoming tests. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should start studying a week before the test because normally the school gives 2 week notification before a certain test/ assessment (well in my MYP school they do). Maybe instead of just reading over notes and doing review questions, make new quick dot points on palm cards can be useful. Try drawing pictures and google some other questions relating to the topic. And DONT WORRY too much during the exam coz that can cause blank outs. Good Luck :)

in year 9 i had a worse combo: Eng, Maths (Ext.), Science (all), Geo, French, IT, photography, commerce

and usually all the tests and assessments were during the same week...if i can survive, so can you :)