Sound emitted by the glass

yghydumdam

Hello. I've got a question which is connected with my physics design - hitting the glass with a hammer and checking the frequency of the sound. The independent variable is amount of water inside the glass. How would you describe the theory of physics as far as this investigation is concerned? Of course, I don't want the whole specific answer, rather some tips because I don't know actually how to start with it. Of course mentioning the theory of sound frequency, etc. that is obvious. But I don't know hot to put the reason why the sound is emitted by hitting the glass.

I will appreciate any answers.

And I've got one more trouble. I don't know actually whether the frequency of the sound is dependent on the mass of water only or on the ratio mass of water/mass of the glass or maybe mass of water+mass of the glass or the ratio: volume of the water/total volume of the glass? I have no idea. Would you mind helping me? I can't even find any reliable source.

EDIT (merged by Gaby)

Ok, I found the answer on some part of my question. It's all about standing waves, so the frequency depends only on the height of the water column or rather air column. It doesn't have any connection with mass of water. But now, I've got some more questions:

If this standing wave is created by two waves of the same frequency, etc. so the second wave is the first wave reflected. The question is : where does it have its beginning? Is it where the water column ends (air columns starts) or where the glass ends and it goes down towards the water surface?

The opther trouble concerns the shape. Is is important that the shape of the glass is not regular? I mean the walls are not parallel, is it different case?

Please, help me.

Edited by Gaby