Paper 1 practice - Multimodal / pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Wait... Since when did the paper 1 include pictures? How are pictures literary works? I have been told that English A HL students will compare a poem or a short text (such as a cartoon) and another text, though never a picture without any text on it. I would assume advertisements would be acceptable, as you could comment on the diction and use of rhetoric.

Are you talking about pictures with text, or without?

Huh, I would have assumed Arabic lang. & lit. would be approximately the same as English lang. & lit., but I guess it isn't...

Anyhow, there are quite some things you can comment on when it comes to pictures as well. For instance, patterns and lines are good starting points: Does the picture have any obvious patterns? Is there a natural line in the picture that draws the attention to something interesting/important? You could also comment the viewpoint - is the picture taken from a low or high angle? Up close or far away? What is the ambience of the picture - happy, sad, scary? Has the photographer used the rule of thirds? Where's the focus of the picture? What's the theme and purpose of the picture?

Although I don't know the criteria for your task, I would assume these are the things you should comment on. Remember to always explain how it affect the readers (or, in this case, the viewers).

Edited by alefal
  • Like 1