Starting a tutoring group in psychology

Oskar Birol

As the title says. Do you have any suggestions on what I should bring up? It is supposed to be for Pre-IBers. I'm thinking about going through foundations of psychology, basic evaluating and the biological level of analysis.

Since I haven't done that much of the course yet (IB 1) you might have a better understanding of what is important. Do you think I should focus more on the evaluation part or perhaps essay writing?

Any help is appreciated!

Hey there :)

I took psychology in IB and personally, i think you should talk about both of those aspects. When writing an essay in Psychology, you need really good writing skills and you have to structure your essay properly. Evaluation is the most important part and most people lose marks there cause they don't know what or how to evaluate. I think you should touch base about those two aspects. You should also explain to them how to pick relevant studies that actually help answer the question.

The Psychology study guide could give you a few pointers on what to talk to them about.

Good luck and hope i helped ^_^

• Like 1

This is a great idea, hope you are earning CAS for this ;). You mentioned the audience is pre-IB, are they planning to take psychology or are they just curious about psychology? I ask because my suggestions will depend on the audience.

If it is a taster session of what to expect from IB psych then I think you should talk about all the 'weird' psychology phenomena like broca's aphasia, Phineas Gage, Kim peek, David Reimer and some things from the sociocultural level (because it is easier to relate to, I think some students get intimidated by the jargon from biological level but maybe I'm wrong). You could also do fun activities like getting them to design a basic study to investigate some phenomenon and then have them evaluate it. You can also have a study in mind you can present them (which you know is flawed) and get them to point out what is wrong with it. I use one to show the flaws of repeated measures where I am interested in the effects of different substances (crack, alcohol, marijuana, painkillers) on driving ability in a driving simulation (you can vary whether it is in real life as well to show ethics).

If these students already know they are going to take psychology then I think you should do the same thing as the taster session. While I think it is noble you want to teach the pre-IBs good essay skills, I also think it is hard to make fun (essays are after all pretty boring). You are very right about evaluation being an important part of psych (and all IB subjects for that matter) so I honestly think presenting studies and getting them to think critically about them will be more fun for both you and the students.

Those are just some random ideas, if you can share more about the characteristics of the Pre-IBers I would be happy to make further suggestions. But whatever you do be creative and make psych fun as I hope you are finding it :).

• Like 1