English EE topic?

Maiaz

For my extended essay, I've decided to do English A1 for my subject, but I'm having a really hard time finding the perfect book to go along. I'll list some books I've thought of doing about, but feel free to suggest any other books. For the most part, I was thinking of doing a comparison between classic romance novels with modern romance novels. So, if you want to suggest a book, I'd prefer if it's romance. =)

Emma by Jane Austen

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

If my romance idea doesn't fall through, I was also thinking of doing about the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, but I have no idea what to write about for that book.

Edited by Maiaz

Hi There!

I haven't read any of those books, but I can give you some pointers on choosing a book and/or topic for your EE.

-Instead of thinking of what would be easier to write about, choose something that excites you.

-"Literary works often address, for example, philosophical, political or social

questions. However, the major focus of the essay should be the literary treatment of such questions. The literary

works should not be a pretext for interdisciplinary study and should not be treated simply as documentary

evidence in a discussion of philosophical, political or social issues. Students should always consider how the texts

work as literature, dealing with aspects such as the effects they achieve, the devices they use and the way they are

written" (taken from the official IBO Extended Essay guide)

I say, you need to re-think of what exactly you want to do. I honestly, don't think romance is going to give you a strong and focused extended essay. It also seems too broad.

Another thing to keep in mind. Here at IBS we can't give you books or topics to look at. You need to do that yourself. Once you have a solid idea, or an idea you need to think about (like your romance idea) you can share it and we can give you feedback on it.

BUT, you should read a few example Extended Essays in English. I'm not sure if your coordinator keeps the '50 Excellent Extended Essays" CD, if he/she does, borrow it and read the essays on English. It will give you an idea for how focused your essay needs to be.

Have a look at this thread - http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/12781-writing-an-a1-language-extended-essay/

It will give you all you need to know about English A1 EE's.

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

Have you considered reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, it's one of my all-time favourite romance novels.

There's also The Book Thief by Zusak, which isn't a mature romance, it's got more to do with friendship and familial relationships and patriotism versus nationalism in a very difficult time period and setting. I love this book too.

Try to pick a book you love that is hopefully not very popular and probably on the IB Prescribed Book List and you will be fine.

Cheers!

Arrowhead.