IOP

Faheemah Hamid

has anyone read Persopolis by Marjane Satrapi? I'm going to be discussing that book for my IOP. My theme is not yet defined but surrounds the Islamic revolution VS Islam and political ideals. I will be presenting it on December 10th, but I'm not so sure where to start and what a good way to present my information while being engaging. This is my first year so I would appreciate any help.

• Like 1

The theme sounds pretty interesting (to me) so a clear structure always helps to keep a person's attention. If you're going all over the place, the audience has to try and follow what you're doing. (which they shouldn't have to)

I can't remember my presentation exactly, but pick a couple of things you want to talk about then expand on those. The chances are that you won't be able to talk about very much (since it's only 10 minutes or so).

• 2 weeks later...

I did my IOP on Persepolis, and I looked at the function of celestial imagery in the book. Islam sounds like an interesting area, but I think you may have to focus it more - is it on whether the revolution reflects Islamic ideals, the impact of Islam on individuals etc.? Maybe it's just my preference, but I think it's easier to do the presentation based on a visual/literary motif, as opposed to a broad idea - so you trace the usage of the device throughout the text.

In terms of the structure, I had a lot of problems with mine as well. My first draft was 5000+ words, so my advice is firstly to just write very concisely. I analysed 5 frames in my speech, because you have to deconstruct it visually and literarily. Also, don't start like an essay - start with an anecdote/quote/something dramatic. From there, it's good to have topic sentences - however you can play a bit loose with your structure and just say it as it naturally flows. Make sure your sentences are short.

I had a powerpoint, but I know a lot of people say that it makes it boring. I don't think it does - it really helps if you show the frame you're analysing from Persepolis on the screen.

Finally, make sure you practice and practice and practice. I memorised mine in the week before, but I still brought in notes - bring them in in case, but try not to look at them.

Good luck! :)