Latin for your language B?!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I am a Latin SL student in Australia in my second year of IB. I'm not sure I'm up to writing in Latin, but I'm definitely up for some fun Latin discussion. I'm studying Aeneid IV, Catullus (?) and Horace (?) (List 2, I think), so we may be on different texts. PM me if you want :) Also, technically Latin isn't a language B, it's a classical language - so we don't do the same assessment as the other languages (thank goodness).

Nice! I don't have enough posts to PM yet, so you might need to PM me. haha

ooo. I haven't looked at Book IV yet. I'm worried about poetry. We haven't looked at it at all.

Which IA are you doing? I'm doing the oral presentation.

Since you're on Virgil Book VI, I'm assuming we're on different lists, so that means our extracts are probably different and sharing our translations isn't that effective for exam prep :( We're about 100 lines into our 400 line extract from Aeneid IV I think. We've actually finished our poetry (which I think is called "lyric and elegiac poetry" or something) in our first year, and our teacher says that he hopes to finish all our prescribed texts half a year before our exams. But personally I find poetry a lot easier to understand than the Aeneid, because it's shorter and I think more interesting, so hopefully you'll be fine.

In terms of IA I am doing the research dossier with the annotated sources - our teacher basically told us to do it because apparently the translation is marked harshly, and our school hasn't done an oral presentation before (though the oral presentation sounds really interesting). I haven't really thought of a topic yet though. I originally wanted to do something about adaptations of Latin poetry into modern texts, but apparently it was too random, so I'm thinking of looking at leonine imagery in the Aeneid or the exclusus amator in Augustan elegy. I'm going to try and do more in my summer holidays, which have already started.

I didn't know that there was a prescribed list. We were literally just handed the Aeneid and told to translate. I assume that our teacher will give us new works after our winter break. I did an elegiac poem section last year. Poetry isn't my strongsuit in any language, but particularly not Latin.

My buddy is doing the dossier. If you'd like, I can put you two in contact about that.

That's not random at all. As part of our curriculum in pre-IB courses, we have to translate modern texts into Latin. It's a pretty interesting assignment because you essentially have to create new words and adapt old ones to what you need to express.

Dead language and all...