Are these good ideas for CAS?

ldetuvi

I wanted to know if any of this could be considered as CAS activities and on which fields. I heard some might, but I also heard it has been many changes on the IB policies so I wanted to be sure.

- Giving classes on HTML (or any topic, may be first aid or something like that) to a group of people

- Taking guitar lessons

- A public show of any kind (working on this, maybe street magic or something like that)

- Helping tourists

- Designing websites as IB help guides

I could get a supervisor in any of those, but I wanted to be sure about these counting as CAS.

BTW I started IB on 2011

I'm not really sure if the IB CAS policies I have apply to you as I am in Ontario, but...

- Giving classes on HTML would most likely count in CAS, but it should be formal. For example, if one is a part of volunteer effort giving said lessons, then it would definitely count for Service.

- Taking guitar lessons will definitely count for Creativity as long as you are working towards a goal. For example, you are planning on taking a guitar exam or entering a competition.

- A public show might count for CAS, but the problem is that if it is informal (ie, organised by fellow students without supervision by school or another organization), then it may not count for CAS. If it is formal then it would be a good example of Creativity and maybe Action.

- Helping Tourists. Once again, depending on if it is organised or not.

- Designing websites depends on whether it is a one time or regular activity with appropriate supervision and a goal. If you are, say, dedicating one hour a week helping to design the websites as part of your volunteering activity, then it should count for Creativity and Service.

If any of the above activities is a job, then I'm not sure if it would count as CAS.

PS. It says on your profile that you have your exams in Nov 2012. Isn't it somewhat late to be starting on CAS now?

• Like 1

PS. It says on your profile that you have your exams in Nov 2012. Isn't it somewhat late to be starting on CAS now?

I know, Those are activities I've done already (Except 1 or 3 which I was given the oportunity of doing them this week) , I just wanted to know which ones might count and should report to get a boost in hours, I tried asking to my supervisor, but I couldn't reach him. Thanks for the help :D

Well if you want last minute CAS activities that will get you hours I have a few suggestions that my CAS coordinator brought up today:

• Long-term activities are good as it has long hours
    • Getting more fit by joining a gym and getting an employee in the gym to be your supervisor (action)
    • Learning an instrument, which you mentioned and is great for creativity
    • Talk with your school's student council and ask if you can help fundraise for them (service)
    • Start up a school based charity
      • A girl in my school started up an orphanage charity which is a huge success

On what you have provided:

A public show of any kind (working on this, maybe street magic or something like that)

Though this would be great for creativity, it would be hard to do as the planning process is difficult (as this is a rather spontaneous activity) BUT with the help of a friend video taping your public show would really help with your evidence.

Helping tourists

In my personal opinion, helping tourists are either a spontaneous act or part of a tourist organization. Unless you work for this organization as a volunteer (meaning working without a wage) then it COULD count as Service

Designing websites as IB help guides

this would be AMAZING but considering you're exams are in a month it is better to focus on your exams. Plus this website does a very good job with guides :)

yeah I know I know, I am just another current IB student with exams in May 2013 BUT I am very active in my CAS :) hope this helps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Question answered/OP has already written their exams

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff