Why don't you believe in God?

mollypolly190

Religion  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that people who are more educated are less likely to have religious beliefs?

• Yes
    • No

I just can't see how a world as complex as ours could have happened just because. I feel like it's not absurd to believe in an intelligent design

I think plenty of discussions about this point has been brought up previously. So I'll just quote several arguments from Andy Sebastian here to counter your argument above.

[...] in biology class they should have taught you about something called "evolution by natural selection" that happens to explain all of those "miracles" with far greater predictive power than your God of the Gaps ever has.  Can your God of the Gaps explain the presence of vestigial organs, or of malicious viruses and bacteria, or of the fossil record?  Using your God of the Gaps, have you been able to predict the existence and nature of particular species before their discovery, as evolutionary theory has done on multiple occasions? 

The arguments my religious friends have tried to use to sway me to their faiths (and isn't it interesting that persons of completely different beliefs systems use exactly the same contentions to justify mutually exclusive positions?) reduce to one of or a combination of the following:

[.....]

3. Ignorance of science.  No, the complexity of organic lifeforms is not evidence of design.  You're a century and a half late on that, buddy.  No, science is not a "faith" that requires a "belief" in the scientific method.  The scientific method speaks for itself by working and making accurate predictions about reality, something religions don't really concern themselves with.

4. God of the Gaps.  Latch onto the questions that science hasn't answered yet and then say "well, looks like [my] God is the only answer!" (ie., the fine tuning argument)  Never mind the dangerous potential for this mentality to stunt scientific progress, if you wish to close the book on any unanswered questions with the God of the Gaps.  Never mind the double standard set here, that science has to have extremely rigorous empirical data to give an answer to such questions, while religions can merely slap their God on as the answer and claim victory.  Never mind the observation that the God of the Gaps answer has always been proven wrong by subsequent scientific discovery, such that science has gradually pushed God out from explaining thunder and lightning and fire and earthquakes, out from explaining the complexity of life, and out from explaining the formation of suns and planets and galaxies, to basically the primordial beginnings of our universe, essentially regulating any remotely reasonable deity to a sort of deist first mover, not the personal God that cares about sin and whether or not you eat shellfish on particular mornings.

If God exists in a form remotely similar to any of our conceptions of him, he'd have effects on the physical universe.  For one, he'd have created it, quite possibly have some sort of intelligent handprint on its design and purpose, and quite possibly intervene and direct the course of events.  These are all testable predictions, and they have all been falsified.

Cause he is the one who creates Hunger, Hatred , war , torture, despair, conflicts, violence ,hazard, crime etc....

God loves us so much, but if we don't believe God, we are going to hell........ --- I read something like that from the bible....

That is what so-called LOVE.

It just doesn't make sense... So i have  no reason to believe it....

Edited by Guest