Haruki Murakami: Sputnik Sweetheart

Tang Mo

Hulllllllooooo

I am a fan of Haruki Murakami, I don't know how many of you out there have a weird obsession like I do (but you already click the topic mean you pretty much like him too, are you not?)

I just finish reading Sputnik Sweetheart and I find that love that book very much. I have no idea why this book is not as famous as Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore (I love those two books too though).

As usual, after I read any book I like, I have this desperate feeling that I need to talk to someone about the book or go online to read the discussion. But as I've mentioned, this book is not popular enough and I don't feel so satisfy at the discussions I came across.

This book is terrific. The language is beautiful and the storyline, of course, is so unexacting and so Murakami's style.

I just love how the ending is almost like a thin line that merge the reality and K's delusion perfectly. The end of the story was not sum up at all , it is confusing yet the story is so great.

I have so much more to talk about this book, the character, the theme etc. But I don't want to bore you guys out, I don't want to be the only one who do the talking.

So, can we please please have a discussion about this book and fill this lonely-sputnik-sweetheart-black-hole in my brain?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a Murakami fan as well :) And I do agree, that Sputnik Sweetheart is one of his better novels, though my personal favorite is "South of the Border, West of the Sun" - it is, in my opinion, one of the best romance novels ever written, I can never get enough of that book.

And when speaking about Murakami's typical style, it's not possible not to mention "Dance, Dance, Dance" or "After Dark", which are also masterpieces in my opinion.

But since this topic is about Sputnik Sweetheart: first and foremost, I love the title and how well it fits with the actual plot. I also admire Murakami's character construction, it's absolutely amazing in all of his books, but in this one there are some particularly interesting ones :) And to be honest, I think in this one it's not the narrator I like the most, but Sumire and Miu, Miu especially because of the mistery around her, but I think Sumire is also worth some attention :)