Lady Macbeth's sleep-walking scene

LeahItIs

In the sleep-walking scene ( ACT 5 SCENE 1) what do you think Lady Macbeth is writing in the letter, and to whom? I realise that her guilty conscious plagued her during these hours where she would confess to almost all the murders. But I'm curious as to who she is " writing" the letter to, and what would the content would be.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't think the letter is directed to a specific person, but it's more of confessional perhaps. She fails to admit, in real life, her role in the murder and the massive influence she left on her husband, and she never comes in terms with it/deal with it in reality, and now that she's guilty, it all backfired on her, so the letter could be her way of confessing her sin that she's ashamed of.

I'm not sure that the letter is a major part of this scene, compared to her re-visiting the important scenes of the play in her sleep, and miming washing the blood off her hands. However it just came to me that perhaps the letter could be a suicide note, as it is insinuated that she may commit suicide when the doctor says "remove all means of annoyance", and later she dies- which is often inferred to be suicide.