Taking the Math HL Course, should I test in HL

So, I had no way around the horrible horrible scheduling at my school and had to take math HL in my second year even though I wanted to drop down to SL. Kind of a big deal since I couldn't seem to learn anything from the teacher last year. My question is, should I still take the SL test? Or the HL? I am still really good at math, but I just find it so hard to keep a steady focus in this class that I feel like I would end up dooming myself in the end and was wondering what I should do . The IB coordinator says I'd be fine to take the SL test, but I've read other places that it's suicide to take HL class and the SL test.

Help me please?

Ha, I also asked this question at my school because although I enjoy my classes (and we have a good teacher) I am somewhat terrified of the final exam. In short, the response I got was that if you've spent 2 years in Maths HL, you shouldn't waste that investment of time you've made and do the SL exam.

I would probably say stick with Maths HL, but then again I'm not fully aware of your situation. Have you tried talking to your maths teacher about your situation? Because classes are fairly important in terms of learning things.

So, unless you feel as though Maths HL is going really badly (which it doesn't seem to be in terms of results, only classes) then you should drop. It sounds kind of bad that you had to take it even if you didn't want want to! Sort of dodgy... If you were doing Maths SL, what would be your 3rd HL? Because if it's easier than maths, then maybe doing the Maths SL exam may be advantageous and dead easy after HL.

Math HL would be my 4th HL actually. I literally can not do anything with my schedule. They kinda forced me into math HL last year since it was a new teacher so I didn't take the test my junior year and I'm now a bit stressed over everything. Need to get on picking the tests sometime next week too.

I really can not do ANYTHING with my schedule. It is too late to drop classes now, so it doesn't really matter. This was the only class I was able to take.

Edited by Guest

If your other 3 HL exams are quite easy or even manageable/preferable compared to Maths HL, then I would say do the standard level test! No point taking a 4th HL with maths when you have three other subjects to deal with. So unless there is another HL you are more stressed over than maths there is no advantage to taking the HL exam, even if you do go to the classes because of a stupid scheduling thing. And I'm fairly sure that SL will be a breeze after HL, so it'll probably be a lot less stressful as well.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on what you want to do in your future. Studying any engineering course in UK will require Mathematics and Physics HL. (mainly). Mathematics HL in Sweden, where my mother is from, will not benefit me at all. But I am heading for either England or Scotland so I'll need it. Besides, maths is fun :troll:

If you don't study, everything will appear to be suicidal.

// Adam

Edited by IB-Adam