How lenient are universities with entry requirements?

TykeDragon

Hey all, just a question on the significance of the entry requirements. I understand that they do need to be met I'm not talking drastic cases like applying to a 40 point university with 33 points.... It's mainly if they will still consider your application if you are a point or two under BUT have a good personal statement, work experience, LNAT as I'm going for law, etc.

I'm predicted 37 but I didn't really try in the yr 12 mocks, plus the school messed up a couple of them by putting uncovered topics in them! Breakdown goes HL English 6/HL History 6/HL Philosophy 6/ SL Maths 6/ SL ESS 6/ Japanese SL 5. (+2 generic tok point.)

I was one off a 7 in philosophy and they said they would predict up but they haven't. Maths was close too, as was Japanese, so these three in particular I'm looking to push up in these upcoming mocks. Plus I disagree with the tok prediction system, as I have a strong EE first draft close to an A, already have an A in ToK Presentation (yet to do essay) but they are unwilling to risk predicting 3 core points. So overall diploma I'm aiming for between 38-41 but as it stands I have 37 (but I'm leaning towards deciding to wait until after october mocks to see if i can improve a point or two.)

Uni choices are: (and its a high risk set I know) KCL (39) ; Durham (38) ; Warwick (38) ; Southampton (36) ; Exeter (34/35)

If I were to apply now with 37, is it assumed that those top 3 will instantly reject due to being just under? Or can it be swung with PS/LNAT etc? If it's that unlikely, I'll give it till after these mocks, and reconsider if I fail to up the grades. Thanks!

Individual universities work in different ways, the best way to find out this information is to contact the universities directly. Talk to the admissions departments about how their admissions work. Find out if you are sorted through a computer before consideration by a human, if you are then you are more likely to get a rejection from this university.

When are your October mocks, I thought law was an early entry course? If they are after October 15 then lean on your teachers, just a little bit, see if you can squeeze out the two extra points. The only danger from this is if you don't get those grade and your offers are based on them.

When I said talk to admissions, talk to both the law admissions and the universities general admissions office.

No as far as I'm aware it's only med/vet/dentistry or Oxbridge requiring early application, but obviously although there's no deadline i'm aware of, considering the competitive nature of the course, it's best to get in as early as possible. Mocks are 15th- end of october so I's sit LNAT and apply in early to mid November hopefully. And teachers are unwilling to revise predictions until they see evidence ie these mocks, my school is fairly strict. :P thanks for the fast reply!

The thing you have to remember is that a lot of these courses are very competitive. If you have 500 applicants for 100 places and of those 500, 50 people don't even reach the minimum score you set, it's very easy to discard the 50 because you've still got to get rid of another 400 by other means!

I expect Law at decent Unis will indeed be competitive, and although I can't claim to know the inner workings of the individual admissions departments, it seems to me to be self-evident that not meeting their minimum requirements is an easy way to do a first cull of your applicants. When I applied to Universities, I sent in an application to Sheffield despite being told at their open day that they had a big emphasis on the UKCAT there (I applied for Medicine) when I'd not done too well in that particular test. Despite a prediction of 43/44, I was rejected without interview within about a month - I assume on the basis of my UKCAT 'cause my PS was fine and I met all the other criteria, and had no problem with places that didn't ask for the UKCAT score :P These extra tests like LNAT and so on exist to help them filter out candidates, and many places openly admit that they use it as a cut off. Low grades are an even easier way of filtering out than LNAT scores, so I'd do absolutely everything you can to hit the magic 38 prediction (and also in the final exams) because to me it seems like an obvious way to start making a dent in your (almost certainly oversubscribed!) candidates list.

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback, it does make a lot of sense... it's not good to hear but it's the truth and truth isn't always I guess... >.> I certainly think I can up myself to 38, maybe 39 after October... But this now makes my question whether mid november is getting too late to stand a chance...? As it will then be mid november I will have my LNAT done by and finalised predictions done. @Sandwich