History or ITGS? Credits in the arts?

JessHarding

I am just about to start my first year of the IB diploma programme and am still unsure on what subjects would best benefit me, I am planning on study psychology (BA) in university, though not sure in which country yet. My largest decision is in the humanities, I am unsure whether to take history or ITGS? I did history at IGCSE and got a B however did not enjoy the subject much throughout the year and am wondering if ITGS would be more helpful in the future? I have also been told that in some universities different art subjects gain different credit points, could anyone clear this issue up please?

Thank you for taking the time to answer

I am just about to start my first year of the IB diploma programme and am still unsure on what subjects would best benefit me, I am planning on study psychology (BA) in university, though not sure in which country yet. My largest decision is in the humanities, I am unsure whether to take history or ITGS? I did history at IGCSE and got a B however did not enjoy the subject much throughout the year and am wondering if ITGS would be more helpful in the future? I have also been told that in some universities different art subjects gain different credit points, could anyone clear this issue up please?

Thank you for taking the time to answer

Just for reference, I think it would have been better if you posted this in a different forum, such as the Pre-IB forum or the General Discussion. But anyways...

Honestly speaking, the only requirements you need to get into a Psychology (BA) program is English (At least in Canada, that is). And that goes for any other humanity program (including sociology, anthropology etc...)

As for choosing between ITGS and History, the one that would "help" you the most would be history but can also be ITGS too...Here's the difference:

• History: Lots of Essay writing, this will evidently help you later if you decide to pursue any humanity studies in university (prepare you for writing a lot of essay and overall general historic knowledge) For example, if you were to go into sociocultural anthropology, having a good historic background would help you because in this subject, you would be studying human development through history/a time period and see how their cultural background influenced their behavior. Check the IB History syllabus on the IBO website for more info.
  • ITGS: I do not take this course however, I know that this course is "the perfect platform to study social informatics at university level." (IBO website: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group3/InformationtechnologyinaGlobalSociety.cfm) "ITGS is the study and evaluation of the impact of information technology on individuals and society. It explores the advantages and disadvantages of the use of digitized information at the local and global levels." For more information about this subject, do look here: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/assessment/subjectoutlines/documents/d_3_itgsx_gui-out_1001_1_e.pdf

As for arts, you should know that it is divided into different sub groups in the IB program such as Visual Arts, Music, Drama etc. If a person wishes to pursue their studies in a particular art at university, they would have to go through an audition. In this account, no prerequisite is necessary however, if you took an IB art subject, it would definitely help you in the future IF you wanted to pursue an art program. As for credit scores, in my school, one IB class taken over 2 years count as 1 credit to my Ontario grades in Canada. So like taking SL Visual Arts count as one grade 12 credit for me.

Well I hope this proved useful, good luck! :)