Poisson distribution proof help

TogoPogo

Sorry, here's the URL: http://i.imgur.com/RLcFL.png

Part B requires induction so I'm not sure what to do for A

Your URL is still not working for me. Try reuploading it.

Edit: It's working now.

For part a, what you really wish to show is that latex.php?content=P(Z=n) = \frac{(\lambd (should be lambda + mu, LaTeX is a bit wonky on this site)

For the right hand side, try expanding out the latex.php?content=(\lambda \oplus \mu)^n using the binomial theorem. For the left hand side, use the given identity and substitute the probability mass functions for X and Y and see if you can manipulate it to look like your expression for the right hand side.

(Hint: latex.php?content=\frac{1}{k!(n-k)!} = \)

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Edited by aldld

The base case, n = 1, is trivially true.

For the inductive step, show that if the random variable U1 + ... + Un is Poisson with mean nm, then U1 + ... + Un + U(n+1) is also Poisson with mean nm + m = (n+1)m, using part a.

Is Ur supposed to be a random variable in the sense that P(X=Ur)?

Ur is a random variable and you obtain a new random variable by considering U1 + ... Un, there is no X in part b, so really what you want to consider is P(U1 + ... + Un = k). However you don't need to calculate this explicitly, though you could if you wanted.

Edited by aldld

Sorry for bumping in - I'm new but just wondering...

I can ask for some homework help on these forums? :)

You can post your math questions here:

:)

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Question answered.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff