Physics lab design -help me please

caroline.st18

Could you please help me with my first physics lab design? I need to design 2 experiments: one about coffee cooling and the other one about popcorn. I know these are really weird topics but our teacher gave us them to practice.

I formulated some research questions to these topics, but i don't know if they are correct.

1. How does the temperature affects on the speed of coffee cooling?

2. How does the temperature of oil affects on time of making popcorn?

Assess my questions and define variables (because I have a problem with it).

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't use chatspeak.

First of all, both of your research questions are quite "un-scientific". You should try to aim at doing a lab at something that's more scientific in physics terms. If you have water and a kettle (water boiler) you could for example do something on heat capacity. Also a great tip when doing physics design lab reports is to formulate your research question so that you could land upon a constant in the end. In the case of heat capacity for water you could for example compare the value obtained from the experiment to an accepted value.

Good luck!

Well...

Well, introduction introduces. Some words about aim, etc. It is quite obvious, I hope.

Firstly, create an question. After question set an hypothesis: "The higher temperature of oil is, the faster is popcorn cooking'. When you would start real experiments: "x dependency from y has linear/quadratic/square root/etc nature."

Then, tell an examiner/teacher what can be measured and what can you 'change' freely. It gives the field for the dependent and independent variables. E.g. in 2nd topic: temperature of oil would be independent <although it'd be risky thing because of many reasons...> and time needed for given weight of corn would be dependent. Also, set (nomen omen) the set of your controlled variables. These are constants that may have influence on your experiment but you are not concerned about it. E.g. the atmospheric pressure, temperature of the room.

Then, describe method. Step by step. No exception. Every single picture that makes instruction even more clarified is more than good. Then, describe limitations of your method. It is quite important. In that case, you cannot measure temperature of oil after putting popcorn there.

Well, I haven't ended all of my internals, so I would like to be criticised, if I told sth wrong :)

• Like 1