Should I do HL Physics?

IBFreshman

Hello this is my first question when joining this site and I need some help. I decided to do IB but I joined very last minute. I want to go into engineering as my career and I know physics is really important for engineering. My question is, should I do HL Physics? Here is another thing that is give me second thoughts, I havnt done grade 11 functions yet, though it is not a prerequisite for doing HL physics.

Should I do HL Physics? Yes, No?

Recommend you post threads in the proper sub-section of the forum, and change your exams date so your profile/thread does not mislead our other members.

HL Physics is ideal for university engineering courses. I'm not sure if it's mandatory internationally (it depends on the university and program), but Physics SL will suffice for universities in Canada, with HL recommended. The syllabus I believe is set up for the student without a knowledge in calculus, although it would definitely help to know it. All you really need is a firm grasp of basic algebra and trigonometry, both of which you should have covered in your grade 10 math class.

That being said, HL Physics is no joke. It is considered one of the hardest subjects in the IB; however with moderately generous conversions. So think about what you're doing and where you are going before you make your subject choice.

In the Uk, Physics and mathematics at HL/ A level is the minimum requirement for most universities. However there is a few which will make exceptions such as Nottingham

http://www.nottingha...ngineering.aspx

(This looks at mechanical engineering because apart from general engineering(G.E)/ Engineering science (E.S) it is the broadest branch of engineering. Almost all Universities which offer engineering offer M.E whilst others do not offer G.E or E.S.)

If applying to Uni in England specifically, not taking Physics HL would not be advisable. It is possible to get into engineering via a foundation year, but if you can avoid this I would advise you to. It's more time and monies than just taking Physics HL.

If you're looking at applying for Engineering Universities in the UK, I would encourage you to use Cambridge and it's ridiculous requirements as a guideline. It's arguably one of the toughest Universities in the UK to get into for engineering especially with the IB, ergo if you meet their requirements what more those of the more easygoing/ normal/ more IB friendly Universities. You'll probably overexceed their requirements by doing this.

Heres a link to Cambridge's prospectus online: http://issuu.com/cao...ndColor=#222222

Downloadable prospectus : http://www.study.cam.../undergraduate/

Ps Im talking more subject requirements than grade requirements really.

• Like 1