IB Math vs. IB Math Studies! Which one is better for me? Any kind of help would be appreciated!

PeriPeri

Hello!

I will be starting my first year of IB in a couple of weeks, and I am still stressing about my courses, whether I have chosen the right ones yadda yadda.

I am not sure what exactly I want to pursue in university, but I believe that it'll wither be something within law (human rights, particularly women's rights) or medicine (pediatrics). I have enrolled in courses that (I hope) will keep my options open.

I shall be taking:

~IB Engligh

~IB French

~IB Biology

~IB Chemistry

~IB Economics

~IB History

~IB Math

The reason why I am taking 7 IB courses is because (in case you haven't figured it out already) I am incredibly indecisive. I am doing well in History and feel I can obtain good marks, yet I also want to take Economics (but that's another issue for another thread...)

Because of the fact that this is a heavy course load, I wonder if I should take IB Math Studies to ease the pain? Or will that be barring any doors (in particular, doors to med school).

If anyone can help me out I would be immensely thankful!!!

xxx

Edited by PeriPeri

I really do recommend cutting out a course. Like Engligh because it doesn't exist ;) but you can do 7 and cut one whenever. Just to see if you can handle to workload. but in the end, it's not necessary.

On the topic of studies, you'll be fine taking that I believe BUT there are some universities that require SL maths if you're an international applicant since you wouldn't have taken GCSE maths. Just so you know, my answers are made on from a UK perspective. So if you want to apply somewhere else, then I'd rather have someone else answer that than me speculate what you can do.

Which subjects are HLs and SLs?

• Like 1

Hahaha.

I really am thinking of cutting out a course, but I just can't decide which one to cut at the moment. Is it maybe possible to take an extra IB course but not write the IB exam for it? Sorry if that sounds stupid... I'm new to the whole IB thing.

As for SL and HL courses, I think perhaps I will take English HL, Biology HL, French HL...

** Oooh, edit: I am studying in Canada, but may want to apply to universities in the UK.. in that case should I stick with Math IB SL?

Edited by PeriPeri

Your problem was my problem too. Anyways, if you want to take medicines, you must take MATH SL. Because when you deal with chemistry, it is really helpful and many universities will look upon that. If you will take law, I think math studies might work. However, if u go to London School of Economics, taking a course there in economics&laws, they require math sl/ hl. I know it's going to be tough to take 7 subjects and by taking math studies, it will be an easier way to get higher score.

If I were you, I will estimate my possible scores. (If you think you can get 4 to 7 in math sl, then take it, if not than either you take math studies or drop 1 subject so that u have more time to review Math SL. Math SL might not be easy but it's still doable and challenging (I'm not that really good in Maths as well :P) )

And start looking at the universities you want to be enrolled in and view their IB score requirements.

Hope these can be an insight to you!

:)

• Like 1

Hahaha.

I really am thinking of cutting out a course, but I just can't decide which one to cut at the moment. Is it maybe possible to take an extra IB course but not write the IB exam for it? Sorry if that sounds stupid... I'm new to the whole IB thing.

As for SL and HL courses, I think perhaps I will take English HL, Biology HL, French HL...

** Oooh, edit: I am studying in Canada, but may want to apply to universities in the UK.. in that case should I stick with Math IB SL?

Don't take the course if you don't want to take the exam. That does sound extremely unnecessary. You could always read around the subject you're interested in but taking an actual lesson isn't needed. If you want to do medicine, you'll need HL Chemistry for the large majority of universities. In the Uk. But I'm assuming that's the same for others.

I'd recommend you look at some universities that you want to go to, because not all require SL maths but I'd recommend you keep it anyway. Just incase. The only university I can think of that cared was Warwick but then again, I stumbled on that page by accident.

• Like 1

It's hard to put my feet in your shoes, but I'll see what I can help.

You want to take either law/ medicine/ anything else.

economics is essential.

having 2 science subjects is a must if u want to take medicines.

2 languages is a must.

math is a must.

Now what is the use of taking history if u are taking law/medicine?

well there might be some connection between a specific country's history and its law.

But the history is about the world history isn't it?

Even though you might like history so much, well you can read them in your spare time, because the objective here is to focus on subjects which are prerequisite for you uni isn't it?

Last time, I really want to take English A1 because I like to read literature books, but my native language is Indonesian.

Thus I decided that if I'm really passionate with literature in English I can read them without any supervision, and not taking it as my IB subject.

And fyi, IB life is a busy life (if u are serious with it).

I know that if you like history, there's bigger probability that you will achieve high score. But, history in iB might not that easy after all.

So if I were you I'll leave history out and do a self study on it during available time.

Well, that's my views.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Hahaha.

Don't take the course if you don't want to take the exam. That does sound extremely unnecessary. You could always read around the subject you're interested in but taking an actual lesson isn't needed. If you want to do medicine, you'll need HL Chemistry for the large majority of universities. In the Uk. But I'm assuming that's the same for others.

I'd recommend you look at some universities that you want to go to, because not all require SL maths but I'd recommend you keep it anyway. Just incase. The only university I can think of that cared was Warwick but then again, I stumbled on that page by accident.

If I were to take Chemistry HL, and were to receive a 4 or 5, would that still be acceptable?

economics is essential.

2 languages is a must.

math is a must.

well there might be some connection between a specific country's history and its law.

Even though you might like history so much, well you can read them in your spare time, because the objective here is to focus on subjects which are prerequisite for you uni isn't it?

Last time, I really want to take English A1 because I like to read literature books, but my native language is Indonesian.

Thus I decided that if I'm really passionate with literature in English I can read them without any supervision, and not taking it as my IB subject.

I know that if you like history, there's bigger probability that you will achieve high score. But, history in iB might not that easy after all.

So if I were you I'll leave history out and do a self study on it during available time.

Well, that's my views.

Hope it helps.

I have been told by many to drop History haha, so at this point I might as well think about doing just that.

I'm just a bit scared for Economics, I'm afraid that I won't do so well. Is it a very difficult subject? And is the exam hard?

Sorry for the endless questions... but thank you for taking the time to answer!!

xx

economics is essential.

2 languages is a must.

math is a must.

That's just wrong.

If I were to take Chemistry HL, and were to receive a 4 or 5, would that still be acceptable?

It depends on where you want to study. A lot of the top unis in the UK would require at least a 6 or a 7.

It depends on where you want to study. A lot of the top unis in the UK would require at least a 6 or a 7.

Gah. I guess that means a lot of hard work on my part.

So do you think I should drop history then, as I have been told numerously? Should I stick with Economics as it could be beneficial for pursuing law?

Gah. I guess that means a lot of hard work on my part.

So do you think I should drop history then, as I have been told numerously? Should I stick with Economics as it could be beneficial for pursuing law?

Yes it will be. But if you want it enough, you'll do it :)

It honestly depends on what you prefer. Economics won't be beneficial for law (I don't know where that's coming from) and history is a good subject preparation wise. But the difference is negligible. There aren't any required subjects for law. I was thinking of doing law, so I decided to take history, english and philosophy. But people can do law with all science subjects at A level so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

If you prefer history, take that. If you prefer economics, take that. The main reason why people would recommend you to drop history is because it's a very content heavy course. But if you manage your time well, you'll be ok.

• Like 1

Yes it will be. But if you want it enough, you'll do it :)

It honestly depends on what you prefer. Economics won't be beneficial for law (I don't know where that's coming from) and history is a good subject preparation wise. But the difference is negligible. There aren't any required subjects for law. I was thinking of doing law, so I decided to take history, english and philosophy. But people can do law with all science subjects at A level so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

If you prefer history, take that. If you prefer economics, take that. The main reason why people would recommend you to drop history is because it's a very content heavy course. But if you manage your time well, you'll be ok.

I'll give both Economics and History a go, and see which one I like better before I drop one. And hopefully, I'll survive Chemistry IB HL haha.

I'm still undecided about everything, but hey, school doesn't start for another two weeks, so I'm going to enjoy the sweet, sweet bliss of summer holidays!

Thank you for answering, your insight has been incredibly helpful to me!!

xx

economics is essential.

2 languages is a must.

math is a must.

Well, that's my views.

Hope it helps.

I have been told by many to drop History haha, so at this point I might as well think about doing just that.

I'm just a bit scared for Economics, I'm afraid that I won't do so well. Is it a very difficult subject? And is the exam hard?

Sorry for the endless questions... but thank you for taking the time to answer!!

xx

Well, I don't want to be judged as right or wrong. But those things that I've mentioned again is based on my standpoint and I don't see any reason why would someone state a view as right or wrong because people have different views. Regarding Economics, I'm just new to it as well and I found it interesting and still manageable. I haven't take the exam though, mine will be in 2014. Anyways, go with your biggest intuition, as I've said earlier try check uni requirements. The decision is yours. Good luck!

Edited by Brenda Wijaya

Well, I don't want to be judged as right or wrong. But those things that I've mentioned again is based on my standpoint and I don't see any reason why would someone state a view as right or wrong because people have different views. Anyways, go with your biggest intuition, as I've said earlier try check uni requirements. The decision is yours. Good luck!

I value your advice! Thank you for helping me out; I will most definitely check out university requirements.

Cheers

xx

Well, I don't want to be judged as right or wrong. But those things that I've mentioned again is based on my standpoint and I don't see any reason why would someone state a view as right or wrong because people have different views. Anyways, go with your biggest intuition, as I've said earlier try check uni requirements. The decision is yours. Good luck!

I value your advice! Thank you for helping me out; I will most definitely check out university requirements.

Cheers

xx

Your very welcome :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...