What are your thoughts from growing up in a busy city to moving to a university in the countryside/a small town? Any personal experiences?

carpediem

I'm doing all my university research right now and I honestly don't know if I'd be able to enjoy a university in the countryside. This is important to me because I want to go to a university where I won't be absolutely fed up with the place in a week, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to transfer. (It's like moving from New York City to go to a university in Middlebury.)

So does anyone have any personal experience on this? How would you know you enjoy the countryside? I can see myself there, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd be happy.

I went to boarding school, not in the countryside, but a tiny mountain village. It was NOT easy to adjust to that, at all. Even after two amazing years there, the small town would stifle me like no other. That experience was the sole reason I couldn't apply to Cambridge, because the British small town/large village eerily reminded me of my snowy abode (without the hills and slopes). From a Bandra boy to a Powai girl, it's a lot to adjust to, especially if you've never lived in an environment like that for an extended period of time.

Arrowhead.

• Like 1

The countryside is awesomes having spent my teenage years living here I can honestly say. Not all countrysides are the same experience. For example you could pick a 'country' location with incredibly easy access to the city. Where I live for example is 20 minutes to get into the city, which means I can easily get the best of both worlds. I can experience 'city life' and have access to city facilities and events but minus the high crime rates and if I want to chill and avoid the stresses of civilization, a few minutes away is peace. There's less overpopulation, you can breathe fresh air and the parties are wilder. The problem with applying only to universities in the city is, competition is usually much much higher, and so is cost of living (usually). Don't be traumatized, countryside is nice, we have milk and cookies :) and lots of sheep in some places.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1