Maths HL vs Maths SL

IronLithium

If you choose Maths SL it means you will have to pick another subject which is HL. If you know for sure that you can handle another HL and get a high grade then why do you risk Maths HL? However personal interest and university requirements should be taken into account too. I don't know much about Chemistry major but I suggest you finding out how much Mathematics weighs in that particular area. Maybe contact the university you wanna apply for? It is possible that deep Maths understanding is required and so you have to choose Maths HL. In my opinion, a 5 in Maths HL doesn't necessarily show your strong ability in Maths. So if Maths SL is enough for application, consider taking it.

What if I want to take chemistry for uni?

If I'm not mistaken, UK universities (at least the top ones) do required Maths HL from their applicants. Are you applying the UK or the US? I'm not an expert in US applications but as far as I know the HL subjects are only important when it comes to getting credit. But again, I don't know about the US so you might want to ask someone who has applied there. I had previously checked ICL's (Imperial College London) website and they want students to have Maths HL so that's an example of a university where you don't have a choice if you want to apply there.

Oh and by the way, even a 5 at Maths HL shows strong mathematical ability. You can't really compare Maths SL to HL - especially since you are talking Maths SL, FreyaLu.

What if I want to take chemistry for uni?

If I'm not mistaken, UK universities (at least the top ones) do required Maths HL from their applicants. Are you applying the UK or the US? I'm not an expert in US applications but as far as I know the HL subjects are only important when it comes to getting credit. But again, I don't know about the US so you might want to ask someone who has applied there. I had previously checked ICL's (Imperial College London) website and they want students to have Maths HL so that's an example of a university where you don't have a choice if you want to apply there.

Oh and by the way, even a 5 at Maths HL shows strong mathematical ability. You can't really compare Maths SL to HL - especially since you are talking Maths SL, FreyaLu.

Thanks for telling me this. I heard some of my old schoolmates talking about Maths scores and almost every one of them achieved seven in Maths HL- I guess they were just particularly good at Maths :hmmm: