Good combo to get into Modern Languages?

yomanyomo

Hi guys, in the future I want to study modern languages. And the languages that i will be studying would be french, spanish and mandarin.

is this a good combination (for the ib)?

(as you can see below, but im gunna type it again anyway)

HL: English, Psychology and French B

SL: Spanish ab initio, Math studies, Chemistry

Is there anything I can fix to do more languages? my school also offers japanese ab initio as well...and maybe mandarin. should I do that?

but i'd need to fix my science or my humanities, i think.

idk.

any ideas would be appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Japanese... I envy you SO!

Ok, let's come back to the topic ;) In my opinion this is good combination although I'd switch mathematical studies to maths methods (sl). Studies is not prefered by universities, you may have problems afterwards.

I disagree, if you don't need methods, don't take methods, it's not as easy as it sounds. And no point wasting time on a subject you don't need, especially if you want to go into languages which have nothing to do with Maths.

I think your choices are fine, though. If you feel like taking one more subject, you can, but I don't really think it'll aid you too much, only add workload (which you don't really need in the IB). Check with the universities you want to apply to if these subjects are fine with their requirements. If they are, you're good to go. :)

Enjoy the IB. :)

I disagree, if you don't need methods, don't take methods, it's not as easy as it sounds. And no point wasting time on a subject you don't need, especially if you want to go into languages which have nothing to do with Maths.

It's not easy but univs dislike studies. What to do? :(

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm really bad at Maths. I got a 5 in MYP Maths, my teacher suggests me to do Standard level but I don't really need it so I'll go with the easier option.

Also i'm not doing Spanish ab anymore...im doing theatre instead.

this is because theatre was actually my best subject last year so I want to boost up my grades by doing something i'm good at.

Unis don't care about maths if you're applying to study languages

Well, it would be so although my parents' friend had a problem with her university because of maths studies (she wanted to study journalism).

I got a 5 in MYP Maths, my teacher suggests me to do Standard level but I don't really need it so I'll go with the easier option.

Well, do what you think is the best for you :)

Maybe I exaggerated a little.

Edited by Hanadai