What should I do?

justforkicks21

So I'm an upcoming freshman, but I need to plan out my ib years right now. So far I'm taking:

Chemistry SL (11th grade)

Math SL (11th grade)

English HL (12th grade)

Spanish SL (12th grade)

History HL (12th grade)

Biology 1&2 HL (12th grade)

Math HL (12th grade)

I am science oriented, and plan on going into medicine. Should I take a Physics HL as well during senior year?

Why do you need to do that? You're already taking 7 subjects with 4 HLs. You can cut it down to the normal diploma because the chances are the effort you put into that won't be proportional to the reward you get from doing that.

You're in America, so medicine is post grad... doesn't that mean your IB results matter less in that case? I'm not sure, but if I'm wrong I'll be corrected hopefully.

I don't think you need to do all of that stuff let alone physics HL in addition to it.

So I'm an upcoming freshman, but I need to plan out my ib years right now. So far I'm taking:

Chemistry SL (11th grade)

Math SL (11th grade)

English HL (12th grade)

Spanish SL (12th grade)

History HL (12th grade)

Biology 1&2 HL (12th grade)

Math HL (12th grade)

I am science oriented, and plan on going into medicine. Should I take a Physics HL as well during senior year? Or is it insanity to do 5 HL's in senior year?

Pardon my asking, but if you're Science-oriented, why do History and English HL? Those are two of the most difficult humanities subjects in the IB. You'd be better off doing Chemistry and Physics HL if you want to aim for scholarships/college credits towards good Science schools. Also, I don't particularly see the point in doing Math twice; though I suppose it's not particularly any greater workload than just doing HL in Year 12.

I'm pretty sure Chemistry is more in line with Medicine students for university studies, but I could be wrong. I think your coarse load is quite impressive for a future Med student. Whether or not you need Physics HL depends on university requirements in the country where you want to study Medicine. For example in India, you cannot pursue Medicine without having done Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology until Year 12. It's different in different places. That should really clinch your decision either way.

Arrowhead.

Pardon my asking, but if you're Science-oriented, why do History and English HL?

Many American high schools have limited options and know little about the IB and assume that SL courses are one year and HL are two year courses, so in order to keep students on track for graduation requirements they make everyone take HL English and history. Mine did that too. I wouldn't have chosen HL English or history if I could have picked my courses at the level I wanted them.

Anyways to your original question. You don't need to take HL physics. Considering that you will not be applying to a medical course right out of high school anyways since medicine is a graduate-level thing here, your IB subjects and scores won't really matter that much. HL biology is good. Although I'm curious as to why you're not taking HL chemistry and taking HL math instead? You don't need HL math for medicine and any math you will need as part of your pre-med requirements in university isn't really that much beyond calculus which is covered in SL math. You can take physics if you want, but it's not necessary. IB's already hard enough and don't make it even harder by adding a super-hard class to your schedule.

Edited by Emy Glau-ski

I am confused with the year 1 and year 2 thing. i mean don't you have to take all classes throughout the 2 years? o.O

anyway about the courses...

I think for medicine, best combo would be chemistry, biology and maths at higher level. but sl math is acceptable (not STUDIES)

everyone who will be studying medicine after high school at my school all do HL: Chemistry, Biology and History.

at first I was confused why history was there o.O but i read about it online and some universities would prefer an essay based as a third HL if not Maths.

Stuff like language B at HL along with Chem and Bio won't really help. however, i know that people who are fluent do it anyway, just to pump up their scores.

You really don't need physics for medicine :) but if you like the subject then you should consider doing Engineering (but you'll have to do Maths HL for sure and drop bio.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think for medicine, best combo would be chemistry, biology and maths at higher level. but sl math is acceptable.

Why is it so good for future medicine students to take Maths HL? Isn't it all about human body and his fluids? What does Maths HL have to do with medicine?

A riddle.

I think for medicine, best combo would be chemistry, biology and maths at higher level. but sl math is acceptable.

Why is it so good for future medicine students to take Maths HL? Isn't it all about human body and his fluids? What does Maths HL have to do with medicine?

A riddle.

It's to show your proficiency in logical thinking. Medicine isn't just reduced to chemistry and biology - maths does show a high level clear thought which is good for medics. And everyone I guess. It's a highly regarded subject for nearly all degrees.

A riddle.

It's to show your proficiency in logical thinking. Medicine isn't just reduced to chemistry and biology - maths does show a high level clear thought which is good for medics. And everyone I guess. It's a highly regarded subject for nearly all degrees.

Also it couldn't hurt if you take the HL statistics option. I don't know how much statistics is covered in SL, but if you go into medicine (or a wide range of other fields) statistics is probably going to be the field of math that you use the most.

Maths is important, sometimes there are things you have to count but medicine does not focus on mathematics...

I'm not saying it's the absolute most important course. But it is very helpful and even if not every topic covered is used extensively in every field, it demonstrates a form of logical reasoning that everyone working in a scientific field should have.

A riddle.

My dad is a chemistry professor at University of Cambridge. So let me tell you a little secret about why maths is important smart one; chem. requires. a. lot. of. maths...when it comes to university level chem (even in HL IB Chem). Maths isn't ALL about logical thinking, its also about solving problems.

And as a doctor you'll need to solve problems all the time, this is when you apply your Maths, Chem and bio skills.

Plus, I specifically mentioned that SL Maths is acceptable. Although SL Chem isn't.

To be honest, I didn't understand why Maths was important before as well. But that was when I was 8 years old :)

What? This is about medicine, not politics :/

I just compared medicine with politics. They both require logical thinking.

chem. requires. a. lot. of. maths

Not a lot of. You have to count many things but they're not difficult.

Maths isn't ALL about logical thinking, its also about solving problems.

I agree.

And as a doctor you'll need to solve problems all the time, this is when you apply your Maths, Chem and bio skills

Well, these "problems" you're talking about are not like "problems" in maths, they're not sush... mathematical, haha.

Plus, I specifically mentioned that SL Maths is acceptable.

To be honest, I didn't understand why Maths was important before as well. But that was when I was 8 years old

But of course! :) I really adore mathematics, it's one of my favourite subject but I don't get it why many people maintain that Maths HL would be so helpful in medicine. That's all.