Is it possible to get a 7 in ESS? If so, how would you go about doing it?

folb695

Guest B.E.P.

Yes! Of course its doable!

I'm not sure about ESS, but for all the other sciences, what I would do (and most people) is I'd look at the syllabus and make sure I know everything written on the syllabus. After that, I would attempt past papers until I ensure that I understand everything!

"Learning the textbook to death" is a good tactic if the textbook covers everything and is good, if not, you can always look up more resources online.

Make sure you have excellent IAs as well, because these are relatively 'easy' marks to guarantee.

ESS is one of the most odd subjects where nothing is exact and no absolutely correct answer exists to any question. But still it was my most favorite subject and it affected my life in many ways. I became vegan, started to sort waste, did extra reading about something when it caught my eye in the textbook, watched ton of documents and youtube videos and I generally felt less ignorant about our nature so it made me feel quite good. So of all subjects, ESS was the one I spent most time studying and I even made 90 page study guide, which I may upload here (even though it's the shortened version of the pearson bac textbook).

So what I want to finally say, I could remember every single thing from the book and I can still probably recall most of it, but I ended up with a 4 on my IB report and I was really hoping to get at least a 6 even if I deliberately wanted to mess it up. Some people go for the subject, because they think it will be an easy 7 and maybe they will get it or not, because they underestimated the subject. Then there are those who just learn everything very mechanically or automatically with no feelings involved and stil get a 7.

The reason I got a 4, was either because I did put too much heart into my responses or because the examiner couldn't read it, because I have quite severe dysgraphia...

anyway, If I was to answer your question at least, I would recommend you to try to UNDERSTAND what you are learning, because that way you will remember it the best

I suggest you understand the concepts better than mugging up the book,

and make sure your answers are descriptive.

As you can see below, my ESS grade is a 6 because my answers weren't descriptive enough :(

And do extra research! Answer the little questions in the Pearson book and you're good to go! :D

ESS is one of the most odd subjects where nothing is exact and no absolutely correct answer exists to any question. But still it was my most favorite subject and it affected my life in many ways. I became vegan, started to sort waste, did extra reading about something when it caught my eye in the textbook, watched ton of documents and youtube videos and I generally felt less ignorant about our nature so it made me feel quite good. So of all subjects, ESS was the one I spent most time studying and I even made 90 page study guide, which I may upload here (even though it's the shortened version of the pearson bac textbook).

So what I want to finally say, I could remember every single thing from the book and I can still probably recall most of it, but I ended up with a 4 on my IB report and I was really hoping to get at least a 6 even if I deliberately wanted to mess it up. Some people go for the subject, because they think it will be an easy 7 and maybe they will get it or not, because they underestimated the subject. Then there are those who just learn everything very mechanically or automatically with no feelings involved and stil get a 7.

The reason I got a 4, was either because I did put too much heart into my responses or because the examiner couldn't read it, because I have quite severe dysgraphia...

anyway, If I was to answer your question at least, I would recommend you to try to UNDERSTAND what you are learning, because that way you will remember it the best

And last, but not the least,

^ Mar Le Devine's notes really help! :D

Hope I helped, best of luck :D

• 3 months later...

I suggest you understand the concepts better than mugging up the book,

and make sure your answers are descriptive.

As you can see below, my ESS grade is a 6 because my answers weren't descriptive enough :(

And do extra research! Answer the little questions in the Pearson book and you're good to go! :D

And last, but not the least,

^ Mar Le Devine's notes really help! :D

Hope I helped, best of luck :D

Hey, just wondering, but I saw you do HL psychology and got really good marks. Did you need good biology knowledge to do this subject?

I'm considering taking it but my teacher saids it involves a lot of science and since I'm think of taking ESS, I'm not sure how I'll do.

Also, do universities still judge you fairly if you take ESS cuz its not a 'lab' science? I'm planning to go to US.

Thanks! :)