Can you use your final IB grades to apply to uni instead of the predicted grades?

aahmedov

What I mean is if there is a possibility I could not apply to any schools in 2012, finish my 2013 exams and apply with those grades to a univeristy and start studying higher education in September 2014. Applying with my acutal IB grade and basically taking a year off.

I havent gotten my predicted grades yet, but I doubt that I could get anywhere with them. My teachers always underestimate my potential. When I did my GCSE's I was predicted 9 B's and 1 A, the 4 months before the exams. I ended up with 4 A*'s, 5 A's and 1 B. So I have no faith in predicted grades.

I guess those 4 months of exam revision really made the difference.

You've made like a billion threads revolving around the same topic. I'm sure you could have asked the question in the threads before hand.

To answer your question, yes you can. You'll need to take a gap year and apply in the next cycle for 2014 entry.

Have you managed to talk to your teachers about your predicted grades yet? You should.

Seriously mate, you have your answer. But are you honestly considering applying to Oxford for Medicine with 4A*s, 5As and a B? I mean GCSE grades are taken into consideration when considering applicants. You will be up against people with concurring A*s and a few As at best. Anyway, you probably know what's best for you and your potential. But I would encourage you to do a little more research into courses and such at Oxford and what they give most merit to, etc.

Just a thought.

Arrowhead.

Please dont judge me, its summer holidays ive been working my brains out to come back to school and improve my predicted grades and I found out that only one week ago that you have to apply to UK medicine as early as October. My school never told me this eventough I've made it clear i wanted to study medicine in Uk when I started IB. My IB coordinator told me that when you apply to UK you apply during December, excuse me for believing that. Its frustrating.

Oh, and the reason why I've asked the same question a million times is because nobody really gave me a clear answer. All I needed was a yes or no, and now since you have given me the answer I wont be asking for it again.

Thanks by the way.

Yes you can, and your gcse grades are fine this year someone got an offer for oxford with a D (according to Oxford applicants stalking page 2012 studentroom), it was for archaeology and anthropology, but hey. Your BMAT and IB scores matter more (should be done the summer before application as they expire), as long as you do HL Chem and Bio you should be fine. Spend your gap year getting relevant experience, showing you've been doing something eg volunteering in hospitals abroad/ helping schemes. Make your CV look colourful, then apply next year it's perfectly fine and you can spend this time making money and making yourself look more attractive.

Yes you can, and your gcse grades are fine this year someone got an offer for oxford with a D (according to Oxford applicants stalking page 2012 studentroom), it was for archaeology and anthropology, but hey. Your BMAT and IB scores matter more (should be done the summer before application as they expire), as long as you do HL Chem and Bio you should be fine. Spend your gap year getting relevant experience,

As much as I hate discouraging people from doing things but, his gcses aren't 'fine' for Oxford. Or many medical schools for that matter. Medicine is extremely competitive and it pays off to apply smart instead of the best universities all the time. The difference between them aren't that great. Employers are blind to the university you came from for medicine. The average successful applicant for medicine at Oxford had 90% A*s. You can check it on their website if you want.

Apply smart instead of just going for the highest just for the sake of it. Medicine is really competitive. Just incase you haven't got that yet.

Please dont judge me, its summer holidays ive been working my brains out to come back to school and improve my predicted grades and I found out that only one week ago that you have to apply to UK medicine as early as October. My school never told me this eventough I've made it clear i wanted to study medicine in Uk when I started IB. My IB coordinator told me that when you apply to UK you apply during December, excuse me for believing that. Its frustrating.

Oh, and the reason why I've asked the same question a million times is because nobody really gave me a clear answer. All I needed was a yes or no, and now since you have given me the answer I wont be asking for it again.

Thanks by the way.

Not trying to judge you mate, I apologise if it came across that way. Just advising you to fully research your options before setting your heart on going somewhere. That's all.

In terms of the advice you were given about University admissions for the UK in December, that's actually accurate. Not all students apply to Oxbridge, for those who don't, the deadline for applications is generally January 31st. It's only Oxford and Cambridge that have set an earlier deadline in October for applications, so that they have adequate time to conduct interviews and such. Your IB Coordinator didn't lead you astray, he/she probably didn't know about the special requirements of Oxbridge is all.

Where on their website does it say the average successful medicine applicant has 90% A*s?

http://www.thestuden...Page_2012_Entry

People got offers for medicine with only 5A*s one A* more than him and someone with similar grades 6A*, 4A, 1B. Not everyone applies with 90% A*s, not only these people should apply because it's not only these people who get in. Like I said it rides on more than just mere GCSE's, get an awesome BMAT and IB score plus a good personal statement with lots of relevant work experience/volunteering. Getting into Oxford is a combination of everything including that all important interview. GCSE's and how many A*s you get is just one of the factors to it. They also look at your school's A*-C pass rate and judge you according to.this. If your school's is incredibly low, say 20% and you get well above your school's average (even if this is no A*s ), you have a better chance than someone coming from a school where the average is 11A*s and they only get 9A*s. They want above average people but this doesn't translate the same in every school and area.

His grades are fine. You'll still have four more universities to apply to in the Uk, countless elsewhere.

It's important to note not that many medical schools have GCSE requirements concerning how many A*s one should have. My sister got an offer from Southampton (russell group) with only 3A*s 3A's 3C's. Less people are applying so your chances might be slightly better anyway.

Just go for it! You know the best way to not get in? Don't apply.

Edited by ChocolateDrop

Where on their website does it say the average successful medicine applicant has 90% A*s?

http://www.thestuden...Page_2012_Entry

Have you forgotten that he's applying for medicine? I'm not telling him 'don't apply'. I'm telling him that he should think a bit more about his application because medicine is the most competitive course out there.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

For those with an offer of a pl

ac

e who had taken GCSEs, the mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.91.