How do teachers write predicted grades?

aahmedov

Do they base on what they see the few months before the exam or on what they saw when you started IB? Do they take into account improvements.

Forexample if I was pulling 5's at a subject the 1st IB yr and then 7's the second IB yr would teacher give me a 6 to even it out? Or a 7?

Well they take into consideration everything. The potential they think you have. Any previous exams or tests or even home work assignments. And yes, they even take into accounts of any improvements that they've seen.

Yes, the teacher would probably give you a 6. That's how it was for me at least.

Hope i helped ^_^

They're usually based on your end of year mocks (at the end of IB1 which you might/should have). Then if you have mocks in October, they'll reassess them. It's also based on your class work and effort throughout the year.

You should be able to pull up your grade with hard work but it's up to the teacher to decide what they'll predict you. A lot of them are really careful with who they predict 7s to because they think it's really difficult to get 7s. A couple of my friends were only a few percent off a 7 in the end of year test (they had been getting consistent 7s and 6s throughout the year) but they're still predicted a 6 currently. So in the end, it comes down to the teachers and what they think. Some are harsher than others.

I just thinks its unfair that if I improve a lot and get better test scores and submit better quality hw assignments that my teachers would use my performance in IB1 against me when writing my final IB2 grade. Almost everyone struggles with IB at the beginning. Especially if you have HL math, HL chemistry, HL physics and HL language B.

Are we not allowed to improve?

I just thinks its unfair that if I improve a lot and get better test scores and submit better quality hw assignments that my teachers would use my performance in IB1 against me when writing my final IB2 grade. Almost everyone struggles with IB at the beginning. Especially if you have HL math, HL chemistry, HL physics and HL language B.

Are we not allowed to improve?

Yo dawg, please point out where anyone said that you aren't allowed to improve? You wouldn't be complaining if the teachers kept your predicted grades high because of your performance in IB1, would you?

Now, what you need to do, is stop complaining about it and put the effort into improving your grades. Remember that your final grades are more important than your predicted grades. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you chose to do 4 HLs, right?

You'll improve your grades if you can show that to your teachers. Mine are really reluctant to change anything - which is incredibly frustrating. I can understand that. But spend less time complaining and more time working. That way you'll do more for yourself in the end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The way my school decided to do it was to use our year 12 end of year mocks. If we were on a border depending on our performance throughout the year they'd judge whether to predict up or down, but I believe they generally go with the mock result - they're predicting what they'll think you're going to get in the exam style conditions you were in for your mocks, not how hard they think you're gonna try in class.... And now they're saying they'll review predictions based on the mocks we're doing in october. Ie I got a 6 in maths in april so I'm predicted that, if I get a 7 in october I've been told he'll predict that, simple as that. However we have been assured they won't be moved down from what they are even if we do worse in next mock ^^

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Different schools have different policies for predicting grades. ;) My Maths teacher can sometimes pull your grade up if you're applying to a competitive uni, whereas my History teacher is more likely to pull your grade down cause, as he says, "I've seen 'guaranteed 7s' drop to 6s". And my school doesn't do mocks, so it's simply according to the teacher's wishes.

In my school, IB predicted grades are based solely on the kind of grades you get in the normal curriculum. Although the teacher is supposed to give you a score based on your marks, they do often change it for several reasons. That's why it kind of sucks because there are certain teachers that will be less favourable/be biased. For example there was this chemistry teacher that gave some people in her class super low predicted scores which were undeserved.