Advice on which HL math option to take?

aahmedov

For medicine? Definitely statistics and probability. I don't know much about medicine, but foundation in probability and statistics would be very helpful in conducting and understanding the results of studies and other things such as interpreting test results, just off the top of my head.

Edited by aldld
  • Like 1

Hey,

be a bit practical here... i'm sure you would want a 7 or at least a 6 for math hl... see the TOTAL cut-offs for Math HL with doing diff options:

• Series & Differential Equations: 70% for a 7
  • Statistics and Probability: 72% for a 7
  • Discrete Mathematics: 74% for a 7
  • Sets, Relations & Groups: 74% for a 7

the stats speaks for themselves...

Hey,

be a bit practical here... i'm sure you would want a 7 or at least a 6 for math hl... see the TOTAL cut-offs for Math HL with doing diff options:

I wouldn't base your choice off the percentage cut offs. The lower the percentage just shows the difficulty of particular paper 3s compared to the other options for that session. Percentages change each year and there is no guarantee that any option will be easier from session to session.

The stats option will probably be the most useful for you at uni, but I would look at also what options your teacher understands the best or if many of your classmates are doing the option so that you will have somewhere to go to when you need help.

Hey,

Kiwi. at.heart has done a good job explaining why the stats do not speak for themselves and it would be absurd to choose an option based on the percentage cut off. Also the grade boundaries you posted are a bit outdated. For instance, the 7 for the discrete math option was 77% in May 2012 and 80% for Series and Differential Equations.