For people interested in business and economics

Avan:)

Unfortunately those spaces at the top which the talented and intellectual are often barred by those who have the connections but have no clue what they are doing. Of course its not impossible to get there, but its still a very political business. Also lots of sacrifice, It's not unusual for employees at these kinds of companies to work from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM. I suppose its what makes you happy, lots of money or lots of time...

Unfortunately those spaces at the top which the talented and intellectual are often barred by those who have the connections but have no clue what they are doing. Of course its not impossible to get there, but its still a very political business. Also lots of sacrifice, It's not unusual for employees at these kinds of companies to work from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM. I suppose its what makes you happy, lots of money or lots of time...

Well, I do agree with you that spaces at the top are limited, but that's the nature of any kind of work environment, places at the top will always be limited. However, I will agree to disagree on your point that most people are barred by those who have connections. My thinking is that if you've been in a company and worked your way up over say 20 years (which is normal), then there will be a justified place for you because you will be (hopefully) one of the more powerful people in the business and losing you or not recognising you and risking losing you would be detrimental to the business. Can you imagine the kind of contacts a successful banker at a top bank or company would have developed over the years? I would argue that it would be a bad business decision not to make space for you at the top if need be (assuming again you're one of the talented, successful, intelligent ones who've had a great career).

As to your second point, well, it's a given that you will be working long hours. They don't pay first-year associates £95k/year + bonuses for working 8-hour days. If you want to work from 9-5 and be home by 6, well, become a primary school teacher or some other profession where you do get that kind of time and not, of course, that kind of money.