de Moivre's theorem for non-integer powers

aldld

So, we just recently received textbooks (Haese & Harris) for our math HL class, and just flipping through it, I came across what I believe to be a (rather major) inaccuracy with regards to the statement of de Moivre's theorem.

The textbook states that

(|z| cis θ)n = |z|n cis nθ for all rational n.

Rational being the key word here. However, if we assume that this is true for rational powers then the formula is no longer well-defined. For example,

cis(0) = cis(2pi)

cis(0)1/2 = cis(2pi)1/2

cis(0/2) = cis(2pi/2)

cis(0) = cis(pi)

1 = -1, a contradiction.

The books "proof" of de Moivre's theorem for rational powers is as follows:

[cis(θ/n)]n = cis(n(θ/n)) = cis θ and so [cis θ]1/n = cis(θ/n)

However, this doesn't seem like a valid deduction to make. Sure, it's a useful way of thinking about it when finding the roots of complex numbers, but really it just seems sloppy, at least as far as I can tell. Or perhaps someone could shed some light on this?

Ha, we're doing De Moivre's Theorem in class as well, and I tend to just nod blankly when given a statement - I just tend to believe it :) I was looking at the proof they had in my copy of the H+H textbook, and the proof for 1/n does look a bit dodgy. I would assume that it usually works, but clearly, with your example of 0 and 2pi it seems to fall down. I sense that it may have something to do with your choice of 0 - maybe it does weird things... I was under the impression (or at least my teacher is under the impression) that De Moivre's Theorem is technically only defined for n = positive integers, but in practical applications we can assume that n can be any real number (I'm assuming that would include irrational, but I'm really not sure).

Anyway, I don't think I'm of much use in bringing some clarity to the issue. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable can explain :) I'll definitely try and ask my teacher to explain this to our class at least.

So, we just recently received textbooks (Haese & Harris) for our math HL class, and just flipping through it, I came across what I believe to be a (rather major) inaccuracy with regards to the statement of de Moivre's theorem.

The textbook states that

Yes, since (|z| cis θ)n can have multiple values when n is non-integer, your textbook should have explained that |z|n cis nθ is ONE possible value.

• Like 1

The textbook states that

Yes, since (|z| cis θ)n can have multiple values when n is non-integer, your textbook should have explained that |z|n cis nθ is ONE possible value.

Ah, that's what I'd've figured. And no, the textbook does not mention anything about that.