French B: Questions about the new orals

Hi everybody.

I've got a mock of an individual oral coming up - the new kind where you get a photo related to one of your options and, after 15 minutes of prep, you have to talk about it for 3 - 4 minutes and then discuss it with the examiner/teacher for 5 - 6 minutes.

I've got the Skills and Practice book which I've yet to read that my teacher recommended, but what I'd really like is some good ol' IB Survival advice! Maybe I'm just totally incompetent, but I couldn't find anything related to the new orals... :shy:

So, in summary... HELP!

--

Ahmed.

For the real orals, you have to prep for all of the options you have learnt. You don't know which photo you get until you get there, or what the caption will say, so revise well!

The oral is split into two parts: the 3-4 minutes part (which is supposed to be like a presentation), and discussing with the examiner/teacher for 5-6 minutes (like a conversation). For my mock, we focused on one option so we could get a good feel of what the orals were like , and beforehand prepared a mini-script of what we were going to say in our presentation. At this point in time,we did not know what picture we were going to get, so make sure your presentation gives a general idea on the topic and can be easily changed (if needed so during the exam) to suit the image and its caption that you are given.

And for the 5-6 minute part, I think my best advice is to tell you to relax. It's not supposed to be nerve-wracking (although it is), and all the teacher is going to do is ask question regarding your topic. You have time to take pauses and think - I found that some of the questions were quite reflective and asks for your personal opinion, so you won't be penalized for not talking 24/7.

Hope I helped! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. What is the name of the book your teacher recommended? It doesn't hurt to practise some more. :)

• Like 1