University of Melbourne

Does Melbourne University offer Political Science, or just an International Relation? I want to get in, but I doubt myself, whether I can pass the requirements or not. My prediction last semester is 34/42. I know that it's not high, I wish I could do better next semester.

Melbourne Uni doesn't strictly offer a degree in political science or international relations - I think you can just choose them as majors/minors in a Bachelor of Arts. Melbourne Uni publishes their clearly in ATAR for the standard BA as 92.35 - which after conversion is just below a 35/45 in the IB. So, unless demand suddenly goes up for the BA, you should be able to get in with a final IB result of 35/45, which you can hopefully get if you manage at least 1 bonus point and/or improve from your predicted grades. Also, just in terms of IB requirements, unless you're planning some kind of special entry, you'd be applying after your May exams using your final IB results. For the vast majority of courses, Australian universities completely ignore your predicted grades, and look solely at your final aggregate IB score as the single criterion for entry (aside from English language requirements).

Do you know any university in Melbourne which offer a degree in political science or international relations? I'm trying my best, I hope I could get the 3 bonus points and improve my predicted grades. Thank you for answering my question, anyway.

I'm not sure. I think specific degrees in political science are fairly rare, but I gather that international relations might be more popular (at least a lot of the unis in Sydney offer it as separate degree). I think that if you could get your hands on a copy of VTAC (digital or hard copy) they list all courses there - my knowledge of Melbourne unis is not that great because I'm from Sydney. Anyway, a google search should hopefully bring up more specific results than me! Or perhaps a Victorian IB-er would know more.

Victorian IB-er stepping in.

For The University of Melbourne you would have to do a Bachelor of Arts and then you can do a 'Master of International Relations.' The University of Melbourne requires everyone to do a bachelor degree before anything else. The 2014 guide I have sitting in front of me says that as an international student you would need an IB score of 31 to get into the bachelor of arts. That may go up, but probably not above 34. And as Flinquinnster said, Australian universities only care about your final grades, we don't really get 'predicted' grades in Australian high schools.

Similarly Monash (the other good University in Melbourne) offers a 'Master of International Relations' but you would also be required to complete a bachelor degree first. Monash entry scores are usually less than Melbourne's. For a bachelor of arts you need an ATAR of 80 which is roughly an IB score of 29 and at least a 4 in English. As you can see, IB scores convert well to the Australian system.

And @JONGong Yes, Melbourne does offer chemical engineering. You would need to do a bachelor of science first and then you can do a masters of engineering and you can choose the area of chemical engineering. You need about 31 to get into the bachelor of science.

Edited by khimberleigh
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Victorian IB-er stepping in.

For The University of Melbourne you would have to do a Bachelor of Arts and then you can do a 'Master of International Relations.' The University of Melbourne requires everyone to do a bachelor degree before anything else. The 2014 guide I have sitting in front of me says that as an international student you would need an IB score of 31 to get into the bachelor of arts. That may go up, but probably not above 34. And as Flinquinnster said, Australian universities only care about your final grades, we don't really get 'predicted' grades in Australian high schools.

Similarly Monash (the other good University in Melbourne) offers a 'Master of International Relations' but you would also be required to complete a bachelor degree first. Monash entry scores are usually less than Melbourne's. For a bachelor of arts you need an ATAR of 80 which is roughly an IB score of 29 and at least a 4 in English. As you can see, IB scores convert well to the Australian system. 

And @JONGong Yes, Melbourne does offer chemical engineering. You would need to do a bachelor of science first and then you can do a masters of engineering and you can choose the area of chemical engineering. You need about 31 to get into the bachelor of science. 

Khimberleigh,

I just read your post about this. Thank you for the explanation. I wish I could get pass 31 and get into Melbourne University.