Chemistry SL vs Physics SL

SammiDee

Which is more demanding/takes the most time; chemistry standard or physics standard. I don't want to do anything with the sciences and due to subject clashes these are my only options for group 4, neither of which I have a genuine interest in. Which one would therefore be the best for me to take and get a good grade in at standard level next year, bearing in mind I get 7s for both?

I guess it depends how mathematical you are as to which is going to be easier (Physics = obviously more mathematical) but neither are particularly hard at SL. The Chemistry SL syllabus I know is pretty short and misses literally all of the hard topics which make Chemistry into a difficult subject at HL. I didn't do Physics to be able to comment but based on what I've heard, it's not too tough at SL either.

The easiest science for non-scientific/maths/logic-orientated people is of course Biology (well, maybe ESS but that's kind of a semi-science) but I'm assuming that's not an option for you. Also you may actually be a scientific person pursuing non-scientific subjects so maybe for you Chemistry or Physics would be easier!

You can check out the syllabi, maybe. They're available for free in the General Downloads section of the Files section of this website.

I recommend chemistry SL. But it's up to you to decide which you are better at.

I am personally struggling with the physics SL course. It's a big shock if you look at my signature right? I don't know if it's just me, but the physics course is a whole different ball game than math. If you are not interested in pursuing a science-related career, take chemistry SL; it should be easy and will get you nowhere. There are people in my school (myself included) who think that physics SL is harder than chemistry HL! However, it might be a different story if you are talking about getting a 7, because the grade boundaries are ridiculously low for physics. I suggest you should take a look at the boundaries for both these subjects before coming to a decision.

I am sure that I can wrap my head around all the core chemistry topics. Physics on the other hand, is twisting my head and making me twist my head to understand certain concepts. In most universities, chemistry SL is not even accepted; it is so mediocre that my provincial curriculum is better.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I take Chem SL and Physics HL.

I'd say Chem SL is much easier than Physics SL.

Almost all the topics in chem SL overlap, so even when you learn something new, it's not completely new.

I'd say physics is more interesting though, but you need to know a lot more.

For example, in chemistry, you only need to define very few terms, i'd say something like ten. In physics, there's much more.

Another comparison: We finished the chem syllabus around 2 months (maybe even more) before the last say of school.

For Physics, we finished it 1-2 weeks before!