P1 & P2 Structure

j0ma

Hi there!

I was just wondering, if the structure of P1 and P2 is such that questions are included from all areas of the topic? That might seem a bit cryptic, so allow me to explain.

1. For example, in paper 2, there will be questions on developmental psychology. Now, our book has divided the option into cognitive, social and identity development. Since there are several essay questions on the paper, I would like to know if they tend to equally represent the different areas or if they might be all from, say, cognitive development?
  2. Does the same hold for Paper 1 in any way?

I love my HL Psychology, but am drowning in studies, to be honest. I would like to focus on a few chapters leaving one out from each option so I could have more depth than breadth.

Thank you very much!

J

ps. this might've just been my first post ever! the era of lurking is finally over!

I am not exactly 100% sure, but I think there's indeed some representation of all "sub-areas" of each option on P2, or at least of two different areas. But AFAIK there's no official information on how these are chosen.

Below are the official learning outcomes of the Dev. Psych. option:

General framework (applicable to all topics in the option)

• To what extent do biological, cognitive and sociocultural factors influence human development?

• Evaluate psychological research (that is, theories and/or studies) relevant to developmental

psychology.

Cognitive development

• Evaluate theories of cognitive development (for example, Piaget, Bruner, Vygotsky, brain development

theories).

• Discuss how social and environmental variables (for example, parenting, educational environment,

poverty, diet) may affect cognitive development.

Social development

• Examine attachment in childhood and its role in the subsequent formation of relationships.

• Discuss potential effects of deprivation or trauma in childhood on later development.

• Define resilience.

• Discuss strategies to build resilience.

Identity development

• Discuss the formation and development of gender roles.

• Explain cultural variations in gender roles.

• Describe adolescence.

• Discuss the relationship between physical change and development of identity during adolescence.

• Examine psychological research into adolescence (for example, Erikson’s identity crisis, Marcia).

As we can see, there are only 2 outcomes under Cognitive development. Therefore, even if they asked both of those on the same paper (which I doubt), there would be a third choice. Yet it's not entirely certain if they will ask anything of the Cognitive development learning outcomes at all...

Does this mean you should learn everything? I'm not sure. That would be the safe way.

However, personally I'm risking it and not studying 3 of the learning outcomes of another option at all, in order to better focus on the rest of that option... I would like to believe the IBO is not so cruel they'd ask only those 3 questions I skipped over :D Paper 2 on Thursday, hope my tactic works.

As for Paper 1, you have to prepare for anything and everything in the core (biological, cognitive, sociocultural levels of analysis). You will want to be able to answer all of the compulsory short answer questions, which can be about everything really. And then there's the essay... just remember everything about the core for Paper 1.