Really quick question about P1

Jyrgen

I believe I can use things I've learned from the options to answer to Paper 1 questions?

Now suppose they'll ask about emic & etic concepts. Could I use Buss (1994), a large cross-cultural study with 10000 participants, as an example of an etic kind of study (as the study discovered things almost universally common in choosing a partner), though that study is not related to the Core of the programme, but HUman relationships instead?

I think I could because the example is highly relevant to the etic concept right?

Similarly, could I talk about serotonin & depression, if they'd ask about how neurotransmission affects behavior, and explain that the drugs used for treatment are usually are based on serotonin?

Edited by Jyrgen

You are allowed to use studies from the options to answer questions from the core syllabus. As long as you make it clear how the Buss study is demonstrating etic an concept then you will be fine.

I think you can use serotonin and depression as well, but again make it clear how it relates to etic. So for example if you are arguing that low serotonin is at the root of depression and is universal (according to Western science) then make it clear. There are other examples with mental disorders in the book I think that might be more appropriate than this example.

Okay that's what I thought, thanks both of you :)

I think you can use serotonin and depression as well, but again make it clear how it relates to etic. So for example if you are arguing that low serotonin is at the root of depression and is universal (according to Western science) then make it clear. There are other examples with mental disorders in the book I think that might be more appropriate than this example.

I was considering using the serotonin-depression link not in relation to the etic & emic concepts, but as an example of how neurotransmitters can effect behavior which is one of the learning outcomes on the Biological LoA ;)

Edited by Jyrgen

• 1 month later...