Canadian Universities

ibkid

Except the food!! :) Waterloo's campus food is disgusting haha. And the campus is not very pretty either. But of course, academics >> campus/food, especially if you're going for maths/engineering. Congrats!

Eughhh, I agree! The food is horrible and expensive. I won't be living in Village 1 or Ron Eydt Village because of the mandatory food card. I will learn how to cook! (regardless of where I end up) :)

Eughhh, I agree! The food is horrible and expensive. I won't be living in Village 1 or Ron Eydt Village because of the mandatory food card. I will learn how to cook! (regardless of where I end up) :)

My boyfriend lives in V1 and when I go to visit, I'm forced to eat V1 food for the weekend. I barely eat when I go there because the food is so gross. Makes me really appreciate the food at Mac haha.

My boyfriend lives in V1 and when I go to visit, I'm forced to eat V1 food for the weekend. I barely eat when I go there because the food is so gross. Makes me really appreciate the food at Mac haha.

I guess just going by campus standards, I've heard that Queen's is really nice. I don't find their method of teaching that effective or attractive though - I do not want to take the same courses as all the other science students first year. :)

I guess just going by campus standards, I've heard that Queen's is really nice. I don't find their method of teaching that effective or attractive though - I do not want to take the same courses as all the other science students first year. :)

Western has the nicest campus by far. Then Queen's after that and then I would say Mac. U of T is too big and separated, Waterloo is also weirdly separated into different parts.

Guelph has the best food on campus hands down though.

Nothing math/engineeringy beats UW! :P For some programs, I swear they wayyyyyy over offer spaces because the univs know people won't go there e.g. Ottawa accepted everyone I know who applied. They gave me an offer 3 or something days after I applied through OUAC!! :D

Edited by Irene

Haha, I got into math/stats program at Mcmaster (which I didn't even care about). Then I checked the enrollment, they only accept 50 people :P . Is math at Mac good? Better than Waterloo or U of T?

The maths/CA program at Waterloo is way better. And I go to Mac haha..honestly the only reason most people would choose Mac as their top choice is for the health sci program, the other programs here aren't really reknown.

Wow... so many future UWers. I'm graduating in 2010 so it's a little premature for me to excessively worry about this stuff...

BUT. I was just wondering, to everyone who's in uni now studying sciences - do you think IB actually helped you, curriculum-wise, for university? I mean, yeah, IB definitely helps us develop good habits for uni but how much of a head start does it give in terms of the actual course material? Do you find that your classmates are caught up with you now or are you still finding your courses to be a "review" of what you learned in IB?

Edited by greaterthaninfinity

Wow... so many future UWers. I'm graduating in 2010 so it's a little premature for me to excessively worry about this stuff...

BUT. I was just wondering, to everyone who's in uni now studying sciences - do you think IB actually helped you, curriculum-wise, for university? I mean, yeah, IB definitely helps us develop good habits for uni but how much of a head start does it give in terms of the actual course material? Do you find that your classmates are caught up with you now or are you still finding your courses to be a "review" of what you learned in IB?

I'd imagine that would only be the first term, at the most. IB gives you a head start, but not that much of a head start. I think I am 90% set on UW now. :)

Didn't really give me a headstart. Yeah, I knew everything in chem already but there's also some new stuff that's introduced. In bio it was completely different but I'm not taking a general biology course, my program makes us take cellular and molecular biology first year so it was all about neurotransmitters, drugs, agonists/antagonists etc, which bio SL didn't cover.