Preparation for IB

Selin Es

Hey there!! :)

I will hopefully start with IB this summer and I'm really happy for that. The problem is that I'm going to school in Costa Rica for 5 months now and I'm afraid of getting lazy about all this school stuff (I don't know whether you can call it school oder not, really).

That's why I would like to prepare me somehow for my IB (by the way, my English is getting incredibly bad://).

Somebody who started IB after a (lazy)(half) year abroad?

Any recommondations?

Muchas Graxx :)

[Wait, are you going to start IB in the middle of the first year?

If you are I recommend against it . Its already tough catching up on regular school, and IB is tougher.

If you are adamant to pursue it:

First I would suggest to find an IB School in Costa Rica (I believe that you can transfer any credits you earned during those 5 months, but please contact your local IB school to confirm)

If the attending an IB school in Costa Rica is not an option I suggest contacting your local IB school and teachers, and ask them if you could keep up with the major assignments through email. This is pretty risky too and you need strong self discipline to finish your assignments. I say this since as a student myself I never get any work done during any type of holiday/ trip.] <- sorry I miss understood I didn't realize you were going on vacation.

As for tips I would say read some of the literature books that will be covered in your English class. If you are worried about your English, just read and write as much as you can. I would say don't plan for more than this, since I never manage to finish more than this during any kind of holiday. Don't worry too much and enjoy your trip

Edited by krusader
  • Like 1

You're so studious! I remember before IB though I was really anxious and curious as to whether it would be as hard as everyone says. If you really want to get a head start I would download the Syllabi from the File section for all of the classes you are going to take and I would skim them. Know what you have to do for that class in terms of internal and external assessments. In addition, you could read any literature books you have to read during the year before the school year actually starts. Then before the test all you have to do is skim the book and review it, so less stress for you! Happy studying!

• Like 1

Thank you two very much!!!

[Wait, are you going to start IB in the middle of the first year?

If you are I recommend against it . Its already tough catching up on regular school, and IB is tougher.

If you are adamant to pursue it:

First I would suggest to find an IB School in Costa Rica (I believe that you can transfer any credits you earned during those 5 months, but please contact your local IB school to confirm)

If the attending an IB school in Costa Rica is not an option I suggest contacting your local IB school and teachers, and ask them if you could keep up with the major assignments through email. This is pretty risky too and you need strong self discipline to finish your assignments. I say this since as a student myself I never get any work done during any type of holiday/ trip.] <- sorry I miss understood I didn't realize you were going on vacation.

As for tips I would say read some of the literature books that will be covered in your English class. If you are worried about your English, just read and write as much as you can. I would say don't plan for more than this, since I never manage to finish more than this during any kind of holiday. Don't worry too much and enjoy your trip

No, I'm here in Costa Rica 'til July and will hopefully start IB in august, which in Germany is the Beginning of IB1.

Yeah, I think I shoud explain a bit more :) : I'm doing the last 5 months of Year 10 here and I'm going to a usual school. The problem is that the quality of the lessons here is below of which I know from my old school in Germany and a lot more below the IB School (at least that's what I'm guessing). So the problem isn't that I can't manage my IB, it's just that I don't feel prepared enough. :)

You're so studious! I remember before IB though I was really anxious and curious as to whether it would be as hard as everyone says. If you really want to get a head start I would download the Syllabi from the File section for all of the classes you are going to take and I would skim them. Know what you have to do for that class in terms of internal and external assessments. In addition, you could read any literature books you have to read during the year before the school year actually starts. Then before the test all you have to do is skim the book and review it, so less stress for you! Happy studying!

Muchaaas Gracias :D Really good idea!! The syllabi are just being printed out in the copy shop :D I don't know how much I really will do, but I think that's a good way to just feel better prepared and to not forget all of my English ( It's horrible!!!)