Economics for Business

Bearmander

I am considering switching my IB Economics for History or Philosophy: I do not enjoy the subject nor do I understand it, but I want to study business management in the future.

Would I need Econ to study Business undergraduate? Or, should I stick with Econ and learn to like it?

I would assume you need some economics at one point or another for an undergraduate business degree, though to what extent depends on the specific uni (some might require more lessons in economics than others).

You don't have to necessarily like or be good at EVERY part of your degree requirements. I know people who aren't the greatest at math but their degree requires some math to it, and they just learn to deal with it because they like the degree too much and don't want one little aspect of it to prevent them from doing what they want to do.

If you really feel like you can't handle economics and would just die if you had to continue with it, AND it's not a requirement/recommended at the unis you're applying to then it might be OK to switch. If you don't absolutely love it but can manage through it it might be worth it to stick it out for the benefit of having some economics knowledge before going to uni.

:)

• Like 1

I would recommend staying in economics, like emyski said you will have to take it eventually to get your degree, so why not take it now? But if the class itself is damaging your gpa then I suppose you could switch out. Just consider it before you do . . .