TOEFL/English A2?

Szczebrzeszyn

My IB Coordinator claimed that when we get IB diploma, we won't need any other language proficiency tests like, for example,TOEFL when we apply to university. On the website of the uni I am interested in it is stated that TOEFL is 'not equired, but strongly recommended' for all non-native English speakers.

But there is also a sentence: 'however, you may feel this proficiency will be clear in other aspects of your application' - how should I understand that? I would guess that having a decent mark in A2 HL English will be enough, especially considering that every single subject in IB (except Polish of course :P) is conducted in English. Still, I am not entirely sure about it.

In short: will the university in USA consider my IB diploma (A2 HL English) a proof that I am a proficient English speaker?

Bear in mind though, all US universities require you to take the TOEFL/IELTS/etc exam - even if you have English A2. Their requirement is for you to take 100 on the iBT TOEFL (and equivalent for the other tests). Also this is the case with some Canadian universities. For instance, the University of Toronto requires students whose first language is not English to take one of the above tests OR you take English A1/A2 HL. Some do not care though if it is HL or SL, like McGill university. I would advise you to check the admissions requirements on each of the universities that interest you.

Thank you. Like I said, the university I meant (an US university) claimed that it is 'strongly advisable' for foreign students to take TOEFL. I just wondered whether it will be viewed as a disadvantage in the admission process when I don't take TOEFL, but have 6 or 7 from English A2 HL?

Also what about other language tests? I didn't find any information about a test that would be accepted by this university as an equal one to TOEFL 100 result. For example -> any info about Cambridge ESOL examination? I heard that it is not accepted in the majority of universities, is it true?

Thank you. Like I said, the university I meant (an US university) claimed that it is 'strongly advisable' for foreign students to take TOEFL. I just wondered whether it will be viewed as a disadvantage in the admission process when I don't take TOEFL, but have 6 or 7 from English A2 HL?

Also what about other language tests? I didn't find any information about a test that would be accepted by this university as an equal one to TOEFL 100 result. For example -> any info about Cambridge ESOL examination? I heard that it is not accepted in the majority of universities, is it true?

If you're required to take the test for the university then yes it'd be seen as a disadvantage because you have not done the test.

For Cambridge read their site : http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/international/requirements.html

The problem is I am NOT required to take TOEFL. I am ADVISED to take TOEFL. And I wondered whether it will make a difference if I won't take it. (For example - I won't get as much points as the candidates who took this exam) What do you think?

I guess you misunderstood my question about Camridge examinations. I didn't mean the uni, only the language proficiency tests that are organised by it - FCE, CAE, PROF etc. It is the most popular international language test in my country, but I am not sure if it is actually useful.

I am not sure about the CAE and PROF but the FCE is probably more than enough. I took it a few years back but as far as I know it has an "expiration date" so I took the TOEFL as well.

Anyway here are some popular exams that universities accept:

1. TOEFL (http://www.ets.org/toefl). I took it and it is really easy. You don't even have to study. The night before the exam check the format of the test and I guarantee you'll score above 100 (on the iBT test).

2. MELAB (http://www.cambridgemichigan.org/melab)

3. IELTS (http://www.ielts.org/) - As far as I know this is of the same difficulty as the TOEFL exam.

Since you are not required to take the TOEFL but advised to, I would say just take it and get it out of the way. Usually "advised" means do it, but we don't want you to force you. It is similar to the optional supplementary essays that some universities have on Common App. They are truly optional, but this doesn't mean that you will not make a bad impression if you don't do them - or at least appear a bit indifferent. Good luck.

FCE is the easiest of the three exams, CAE (I passed this one year ago, got A) in the middle, and CPE (I mistakenly called it PROF, my fault) is the hardest one, very advanced, near-native level. I think A2 English is quite close to CPE exam.

I (finally!) managed to find and e-mail contact for undergrad amission on the uni website, so I hope I will get the definite answer from there :)

I am 100% sure I would pass TOEFL with no problems, but for me it means paying almost 200$ and all that bothersome paperwork stuff, not to mention that I would probably have to travel to a larger city to take the test.

Edited by Szczebrzeszyn