How do I take Pictures of my Visual Art work?

Guest Aastha

How do I take pictures of my visual art works? Frame them? or unframed?

Also if I have a work that includes 16-19 photographs as one work...how do i click a picture of those pictures?

shall i print and frame and then take pics? or collage them on picasa or a software and take 4x6 pic for the CRB?

When I took pictures I took them outdoors on a sunny day so the lighting would be good. If it was a work on canvas or paper I just zoomed in as much as I could so I wouldn't get any background in it, or if it was a 3-D work I just hung a black cloth behind it from a ledge or something and set it in front of it. Some of my works had mats or paper frames, but many didn't. They were all framed when I displayed them for the exam. I took my pictures throughout the year so I wouldn't have to do it all at the end. It doesn't really matter if they have frames or not because you're not getting marked on how pretty your frames are. You're getting marked on your work and that's what matters.

I used a digital camera so then I could preview the picture beforehand and make sure that's how I wanted it. Then I went to go get the pictures developed. I'm not sure what's available where you live, but I went to a local drugstore with a photo processing center and uploaded my pictures to it, and then edited the photos (resized, cropped, etc) and printed them out as 4x6s.

For your work with individual photographs, you just need to find a way that allows for them to be all seen, and if you have to do a collage you might have to. Although, since the photos are only 4x6 you might not see them very well. Since you are allowed to submit multiple images of a single work, perhaps divide it up into groups of 6-8 photographs, position them so you can see all 6-8 at once, and then take a picture so that you can see them better, then repeat for the other groups. Then when you go to put your exam booklet together you can just have multiple images of your work and you can see everything.

:)

• Like 2

Thank you, That was so indeed helpful when one doesnt have a Visual Art teacher back in school.

I have a DSLR camera and a Tripod but will follow you idea of getting the soft light in the outdoors.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the CRB we cannot stick more than one image of one particular studio work, can you?

See I am not planning on printing the collage in a 4 feet by 3 feet size rather after the collage is ready on picassa, I was think of resizing it to 4x6 in photoshop and get them printed directly for the CRB, whereas in the real exhibition when the examiner visits - I am printing a larger size of each photograph and framing them individually and hanging them.

What do you prefer?

You can submit more than one image of one work. I did that for one of my 3-D pieces: I had a side view and a front view. I wouldn't submit more than two or three images of one work though, and if you must submit more than one image, make sure you are taking pictures that really show off the most important aspects of your work. If two of them look kind of similar pick your favorite and get rid of the other.

I'm not sure what you mean by having them printed directly for the CRB. Do you mean each image is going to get resized to 4x6 and you will post that in the space? There's only like 20 spaces for submitting the pictures, so unless your entire portfolio that you're sending off to be graded is this set of photographs, I would either pick the best couple of photographs that represent the whole work pretty well, or post a few images of the collage in the way I mentioned in my other post. When the examiner actually comes to visit he or she will make a note of them, so don't worry about it.

Guest Aastha

Oh Alright! Now I understand what you're saying! I didn't know that one can send more than one picture of one piece.

because I do have a 3D installation.

but one question that I am very dubious about is that, supposedly I made a studio work which was a sculpture - Now can I write the pages in the past tense...as if I am recalling the whole process and narrating it in the pages?

Till now I have completed 100 pages or so from which I will send best 50, and till the exhibition I will complete the next 100 since HL B i guess needs at least 200 pages of research workbook?

Also, do I mandatorily have to add pages related to 'all' my studio works? or is it fine if i dont add pages of 'all' my studio works?

and lastly, I have around 3-5 pages on each studio work - if i add those is that all right?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the grading is majorly dependent upon the examiner who will visit us, right?

I had a professional photographer take pictures of my art for me. Those pictures can really make or break your mark since the third examiner will be giving you your main mark on your pictures and chosen pages.

Its a good investment :) Plus they can always help you with ideas on how to photograph that piece :)

EDIT: Your mark comes from three people.. 1) from your teacher, 2) from the visiting examiner, 3) external examiner. The majority of the marks come from 2 and 3. Hope this helps to answer your question :)

Edited by Jaymi

Guest Aastha

Correct me if I am wrong but I have been told that the marks are majorly dependent on the external examiner who comes and is moderated by the IB to keep a check that nothings gone up and down.

*Edit: Yeah, lol I meant the same thing but yet from the three the visiting examiner's remarks and gradings are pretty influential.

because being honest... I am a photographer myself from 2 years or so...

and what I've known is that there are a lot of people taking Visual arts who don't have access to 'good' photography and camera/equipment so I think IB lets you loose on that and I'm a Option B student...I guess my IWB pages should do me some grades.

Honestly, I am nervous. My final due is tomorrow... I am just filling up my CRB...

Edited by Aastha

ahhhhh if you're option B thats a whole other story..option A its ALL about the studio piece..so lucky you=)

and yes your IWB counts for more marks than your studio if you're doing option B so you'll be fine :)

haha you'll be fine~! don't worry, just have fun with it and believe in your work, if you believe in your work so will the examiner=)

Good Luck!

Guest Aastha

I am really going to follow the latter of what you said!

It is so true!. I tend to sometimes underestimate my work but I think I'll believe in it more from now :)