Would you still laugh as much if you became a comedian?

CkyBlue

I've always held a lot of respect for comedians- really good comedians- that are of course funny, friendly, and all that good stuff. One of the trademark features of every professional comedian is their ability to keep a straight face in front of the audience. I know the act is all set up, so that the comedian does not crack up like the audience. I think it's pretty respectable that they are able to keep a calm and collected face while giving their act, and even when they improvise, breaking the fourth wall, they are still able to maintain their "air of professionalism" by not laughing like a moron.

But with this, do you think they may find things less amusing in general if they are so used to it?

If you became a comedian, how would you see ordinary jokes, or life, in a different way?

I think that I'd probably laugh a lot more just because i'm surrounded by funny people all the time.

I think it'd get boring only if you hear the same jokes all the time but when you watch comedy shows you still see them laughing all the time. If being a comedian meant I couldn't laugh anymore i'd stop being a comedian :lol:

Watch mock the week and you'll see some of them lose their head and laugh too much :P

:)

I think that I'd probably laugh a lot more just because i'm surrounded by funny people all the time.

I think it'd get boring only if you hear the same jokes all the time but when you watch comedy shows you still see them laughing all the time. If being a comedian meant I couldn't laugh anymore i'd stop being a comedian :lol:

Watch mock the week and you'll see some of them lose their head and laugh too much :P

Really? I don't quite understand; you think that being a comedian means you're surrounded by funny people all the time? I take the opposite view actually. Professionals have probably studied what makes something humorous, and always using comedy as a way to make a living, don't you think that they would become somewhat numb to it?

I have never seen a comedian really lose their head; yes they do laugh with their audience, but never to the point where they cannot follow through with their act.

Really? I don't quite understand; you think that being a comedian means you're surrounded by funny people all the time? I take the opposite view actually. Professionals have probably studied what makes something humorous, and always using comedy as a way to make a living, don't you think that they would become somewhat numb to it?

I have never seen a comedian really lose their head; yes they do laugh with their audience, but never to the point where they cannot follow through with their act.

Well don't comedians work with other comedians? That's what I thought, hence why I said they're surrounded by funny people all the time.

But I see your point, I think they would have heard quite a few jokes repeated but not to the stage where they laugh at nothing.

Search "the Kramer" on youtube. This comedian goes on a racist rant during the middle of his performance :no:

I think that the straight face thing is like acting (it is acting, but I mean it's like being an actor in the typical theatrical sense): just because an actor plays someone horrible, doesn't make them a horrible person. i know that many comedians separate their 'stage personality' and their real personality, many even have different voices for both (look at Jack Dee, if you've ever seen him out of his deadpan character you'll have seen what I mean).

I also think that like being a musician changes your musical preferences, your tastes for comedy would change. I'd imagine that comedians appreciate good comedy (not necessarily popular comedy) more, and will have more discerning tastes towards popular comedy, so I think that overall it would basically even out.

I also agree with the point about spending more time with comedians making you laugh more.

• 1 month later...