Please help me on my English A2 Written Task...

Hi,

So, as most of you already understand, as a Language A2's IB student we need to create a written task, about particular literary works, which could effectively generate new ideas and convey critical responses in helping the student to explore the materials assigned even further.

After deliberate consideration, i've decided to create an online forum or online discussion as my written task. Since i believe, a forum is a perfect place to generate diversities and selection of ideas regarding to my topic, seen from several perspectives or point of views.

I used the movie adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" and Steven Spielberg's "Amistad (1997), which have strong correlation with Edward Brathwaite's "The Arrivants A New World Trilogy RIghts of Passage Islands Masks" as the materials for the discussion, concentrating particularly on the issue of slavery presented within both works.

I would like to kindly ask you guys to give your responses on this following question :)

"How similar was the issue of the “powerful versus the powerless” presented in both works?

For those who have never read or watch these works, feel free to comment or contribute anything related to the idea of slavery :D

I think that the slavery presented in both works were gruesome and unfortunately, quite similar to the truth. Although it was more visual in Amistad, what with the scenes of torture and all, it was still presented strongly in the Tempest. It can be seen in the Tempest that not only Prospera treated Caliban badly but Miranda and the other 'foreigners' as well. Stephano even managed to trick him. However, Caliban and Cinque reacted differently to the discrimination subjected to them. I think that Cinque reacted more maturely and wisely than Caliban. He actually thought of ways to come into agreement with the Americans. However, Caliban's hostility towards Prospera and the others may be due to the fact that in a way, Prospera tricked Caliban into showing her the ins and outs of the island, and therefore being able to take the island from Caliban's mother, Sycorax. That bitterness and regret may have pushed Caliban to act the way he did.

I think the slavery is the most unethical behavior that human beings ever did during the past. I can not imagine that our ancestors trade human beings at a cheap price and USED the slaves to live a easier life. It is good that slavery is not existing anymore but there might be some illegal slavery going on somewhere around the world. People should learn from the ancestors fault and change their behavior and perspective toward the slavery. :)

I truly agree with you laz3r for the fact that both works do share resemblance in term of visualizing the issue of powerless vs the powerful. You mentioned that Spielberg's adaptation regarding to the issue was unarguably a lot more visual compared to what Shakespeare has presented through the Tempest. Well, it is most likely because Amistad was created to emphasis the strong theme of slavery that occur during that time period whilst in the Tempest slavery was only a part of the overall theme within the whole story, which is the powerful vs the powerless. Therefore actions taken by the 'powerful' presented in Amistad was more significant compared to actions taken by Prospero toward Caliban.

oh and i forgot to mention that Amistad was derived from true story while as the Tempest was based on Shakespeare's own wild imagination, so basically it is obvious that Amistad presentation regarding to the issue was more visual or realistic as the event presented in the movie happened before, thus providing the moviemakers with a lot of evidences and resources for their presentation of 'what the powerless have experience' particularly during the time of slave trade.

I think the slavery is the most unethical behavior that human beings ever did during the past. I can not imagine that our ancestors trade human beings at a cheap price and USED the slaves to live a easier life. It is good that slavery is not existing anymore but there might be some illegal slavery going on somewhere around the world. People should learn from the ancestors fault and change their behavior and perspective toward the slavery. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sadly... TT

slavery still do exist until nowadays, and it is LEGAL...although it may be insignificant compared to the past . For example in Indonesia, many middle up to upper class household have atleast one helper (we call them pembantu) that works everyday cleaning up the house, preparing the meals, taking care of the children and etc for mediocre to certain extent low wages. There some who receive bad treatments from the 'owner' but there are also some who live good lives within particular households.

one more thing you put way to many smileys -_-" thanks for replying thread though ;)

I think that the slavery presented in both works were gruesome and unfortunately, quite similar to the truth. Although it was more visual in Amistad, what with the scenes of torture and all, it was still presented strongly in the Tempest. It can be seen in the Tempest that not only Prospera treated Caliban badly but Miranda and the other 'foreigners' as well. Stephano even managed to trick him. However, Caliban and Cinque reacted differently to the discrimination subjected to them. I think that Cinque reacted more maturely and wisely than Caliban. He actually thought of ways to come into agreement with the Americans. However, Caliban's hostility towards Prospera and the others may be due to the fact that in a way, Prospera tricked Caliban into showing her the ins and outs of the island, and therefore being able to take the island from Caliban's mother, Sycorax. That bitterness and regret may have pushed Caliban to act the way he did.

It is true that the movie Amistad portrayed Cinque for having more mature character compared to Caliban in term of approaching the issue of powerful and powerless itself. One main reason on why did the moviemakers picture Cinque in that way it is because, again Amistad was a movie based on true story, meaning a real life experience. Thus in order to retell and capture the grief and chaos during that particular time period, the moviemakers have to create a character that is capable of representing the feelings and action of victims during the time of slave trade. Furthermore a reason why Caliban was created with a less mature character is because Shakespeare's The Tempest was categorized as a comedy XD not suspense or drama :D.

Edited by Calvin Caleb

Hi calvin, good luck with your work! I personally think that power can be said in different terms. However, I got your idea that both works presented the idea of the powerful ruling the powerless. The movie Amistad itself presented slavery in such vivid ways, while The Tempest shows it quite clearly but not as vivid. I think that the slavery in The Tempest itself refers more to colonialism rather than slavery, because Prospera not only occupied the people, but also the island where Caliban lives.

The idea of slavery back then can really create one bad moment. People were being sold, and bought at the same time. Killed just because they didn't obey the rules.

However after I've watched The Tempest, it seems to me that the way they portray the idea of "power vs. powerless" is different compared to the events of slave trade in the past. Although yes, The Tempest did have slaves, which is Caliban. But unlike the slave trade in the past, Caliban wasn't treated that badly, he wasn't killed. Therefore the idea of "power vs. powerless" is showed differently.

Hi calvin, good luck with your work! I personally think that power can be said in different terms. However, I got your idea that both works presented the idea of the powerful ruling the powerless. The movie Amistad itself presented slavery in such vivid ways, while The Tempest shows it quite clearly but not as vivid. I think that the slavery in The Tempest itself refers more to colonialism rather than slavery, because Prospera not only occupied the people, but also the island where Caliban lives.

Hey thans :D good luck to you too dude ;)(Y)

Hmmm... it is true that the main theme of The Tempest revolves around colonialism, however come to think over it again the issue of slavery and colonialism were presented hand in hand in both works. Unlike Amistad that concentrate more on the exploitation of the issue regarding to slavery, Shakespeare's The Tempest portrayed colonialism as the more dominant issue for the overall story, whilst the issue of slavery served as a tool for Shakespeare to enhance and expand his approach on the main theme.

Like you said the issue of colonialism was presented through Prospero's act of occupying both the island and some others people by manipulating his magical power, whilst in the Amistad we can see how the European occupied many of the African land thus conquered both natural and potential human resources which existed on that very region.

The idea of slavery back then can really create one bad moment. People were being sold, and bought at the same time. Killed just because they didn't obey the rules.

However after I've watched The Tempest, it seems to me that the way they portray the idea of "power vs. powerless" is different compared to the events of slave trade in the past. Although yes, The Tempest did have slaves, which is Caliban. But unlike the slave trade in the past, Caliban wasn't treated that badly, he wasn't killed. Therefore the idea of "power vs. powerless" is showed differently.

thank you for restating the idea of slavery again -3-

I have to disagree with your comment regarding to Caliban receiving better treatment compared to Cinque. Because, basically they both loss their human rights, meaning they don't have free will, they do not have their own voice, and they have to do what the owner told them. What is worst than that? it is true that Amistad exploited more violence representation of slavery compared to The Tempest. However, for me personally the treatment received by both Cinque and Caliban were equal. :)

So 2 weeks have passed, and I need to submit this written task -_- TT, so i guess this is my final post to this thread. I'm very grateful for you guys who have spare precious minutes in your life to actually think and give your response to my questions...i can't thank you guys enough, thank youuu sooo mucchhh your comments helped me a lot :')))).

Just one final conclusion to close this very thread...

As many of you have mentioned, it is true that we as the viewer of these works do see connection and resemblance in term of presenting the issue of slavery. We all agree that Spielberg's Amistad was by far, has managed to portray slavery itself in a more visual manner, while as the issue of slavery were not as significant as the slavery shown in Amistad, as basically, slavery was used by Shakespeare himself to help him generate conflicts which are suitable for enhancing his main theme which is "powerful vs powerless", moreover since The Tempest was categorized as comedy back then, most probably the Bard would like to limit the visual presentation of slavery. Nevertheless both works manage to emphasis the negative things that slavery generate, or in other word we can see that both works opposed the idea of slavery.

Edited by Summer Glau