Evolutionary Psychology Studies Help!

mhazelton94

I'm currently studying Evolutionary Psychology, and have been asked to find some several studies that show a link between evolution and an aspect of human behaviour, such as attraction or aggression.

However, I can't find any studies with enough detail for me to use in an essay.

Can anyone help with telling me some studies they know of and/or have used in the past?

Any help would be much appreciated

:hmmm: Library skills...

1. Go to a decent academic search engine e.g. Google Scholar or Pubmed

2. Type in keywords for what you're looking for e.g. "evolution psychology aggression human"

3. Follow up the results and you'll have your studies, or reviews which will lead you to studies

• Like 2

This is an interesting article about evolution and behavior. It is called "Dont Blame the Caveman" and it was written by Sharon Begley. I don't remember if there are any studies though

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/06/19/why-do-we-rape-kill-and-sleep-around.html

Maybe you could also find something here

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/behavior/ev-psych/brooks-2009-miller-spent.html

You can check the study done by Tetsuro Matsuzawa in 2007 which is related to spatial memory on chimps.

And finnally this is the study I always use when I write about evolution and behavior:

The experiment carried on in the internet by Curtis et al in 2004 about disgust.

the original survey can be found at: www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/disgust

There is a related study of disgust done by Dan Fessler of the University of California at LA in 2006.

I hope this helps!

Here are some of my favorites from the evolutionary realm:

Chimps and infants helping out humans when given the chance - videos (Warneken and Tomasello, 2006)

Strippers make more money when their body is signalling they are fertile - no videos sorry (Miller)

Baboons kill infants that aren't theirs (Palombit, 2003)

Macaques stick fingers in eye sockets of their friends to build social bonds (Perry)

Male baboons will hold each others testicles before going into battle which is said to signal trust - I bet! (Smuts and Watanabe, 1990)

Good summary of the last two studies